Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I have already asked something similar earlier this summer here on tsr. However I'm in desperate need of advice and would really appreciate it from someone who knows the field. I'm going to study law at city this september, but I'm just so not excited about it! I mean, I really feel nothing about starting uni! I scored 98/100 in my country's examination which would be like A*A*A and I'm seriously thinking about taking a gap year (obviously doing something productive) and apply again to Oxford, UCL, King's, LSE. I want to take the barrister route, more specifically I want to become prosecutor and I'm afraid I will be at disadvantage competing with students who got their LLB at "better reputed" institutions. I'm not from the UK and having done some research I'm under the impression employers do value where you went to uni, however I don't know anyone personally in the field that can provide some first hand experience. I worked hard for my results and I don't want to "waste" them. Can someone provide any helpful advice or personal experience?
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    It's not impossible to become a barrister if you go to City University, but with law, going to certain universities helps A LOT. I don't think City is 'up there'. That said, if you want to become a prosecutor, that means you will effectively become a civil servant and work for the government. I don't think they care which university you go to, unlike a proper barristers' chamber.

You don't even need to apply for Oxbridge to get to a high ranking chambers, though I think Oxford would consider you based on your grades.

Did you apply to Oxbridge originally?*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stratagems)
    It's not impossible to become a barrister if you go to City University, but with law, going to certain universities helps A LOT. I don't think City is 'up there'. That said, if you want to become a prosecutor, that means you will effectively become a civil servant and work for the government. I don't think they care which university you go to, unlike a proper barristers' chamber.

You don't even need to apply for Oxbridge to get to a high ranking chambers, though I think Oxford would consider you based on your grades.

Did you apply to Oxbridge originally?*
    No I didn't, this would be the first time I apply to Oxbridge. My fear is I won't get a training contract, as I've seen competition in this department is fierce. Based on the statistics Oxbridge and Russell group graduates seem to have a lot more possibilities. But then again, no first hand experience supporting this. I just want to make sure I move away from home and invest so much money on something that actually gives me the best options available.

ReputationRep:
    why are you applying to English universities? or, why do you want to become a lawyer in England? the elitism you suspect does exist. I would guess almost any other country offers a better climate to enter into the legal profession as a lawyer than England.

in any case, I can think of some strategies for you:

- go to City and then plan to become a solicitor (less applicant to job-opportunity bottleneck for would-be solicitors)
    - go to City and then, after achieving a first do a masters at Oxbridge or ucl/lse, etc. in order to satisfy the elitism requirement
    - take your gap year and then apply to one of Oxbridge and 4 other top unis. if your results are great, as you have stated they are, it's a fairly safe bet you'll get an offer from at least one of the 4 top unis. hard to call for Oxbridge. unis like int'l students because you pay them 2x as much monies as domestic students. that along with top grades makes it pretty viable strategy if the extra year is a concession you can accept making.

as well as 1-why England and 2-why barrister, i'm also interested in which unis you applied to for the upcoming academic year? given your impressive grades, I wonder why you are currently on track to go to City.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.