Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting uni soon and moving away to another city and going to be living in halls. I'm in a group chat with people in my building but I'm scared because I'm late to join the chat, they're all having these conversations and private jokes and adding each other and I have nothing to say. Will I make friends?

ReputationRep:
    Aww Ariel, do not worry. You will make friends no problem and it will alright. Dont feel down from the group chat, you will be definetely able to join in the conversations once you go to Uni! What university are yoi going to if you dont mind me asking? If you would like you could message me as I will be starting uni in 2 weeks!

ReputationRep:
    Come on, you should be fine! Also, don't be afraid to talk with people, they are in the same boat and eager to find new friends.

ReputationRep:
    I am really, really shy and pratically anti-social and yet I still managed to make friends at sixth form despite this. If you come across as approachable and friendly you should be able to make friends. There will be so many people at uni in yours and my position so don't worry. It's easy to make friends at uni
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    aww i think the group chat is something you want to stay away from a while. when you get there, interact with the people in real life rather than online, then you can start talking to the people you've talked with irl on the group chat which makes it less awkward

If you don't make friends in your block you could try and make friends that are doing the same course as you
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by ariel966)
    I'm starting uni soon and moving away to another city and going to be living in halls. I'm in a group chat with people in my building but I'm scared because I'm late to join the chat, they're all having these conversations and private jokes and adding each other and I have nothing to say. Will I make friends?
    Dont worry. Lots of people are anxious at a new experience. You have the advantage youve talked online a bit.

Just chat in real life and you will soon make friends.

If you arent a natural then practice your questions finding out about other people what A levels, what subject, where are you from etc zzzzzz. Practice your answers to the same as well as smiling a bit.

People want to make friends, so dont hide in your room. If someone is sat next to you then make the effort to talk and get peoples names. Everyone will have questions so just join in the conversation and tag along if you decide to go for a drink soemthing to eat or visit campus. You will soon be fine as peoples faces get familiar. Its imporant to make the effort at the beginning though as people are more open. It lasts for a few weeks.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Dont worry. Lots of people are anxious at a new experience. You have the advantage youve talked online a bit.

Just chat in real life and you will soon make friends.

If you arent a natural then practice your questions finding out about other people what A levels, what subject, where are you from etc zzzzzz. Practice your answers to the same as well as smiling a bit.

People want to make friends, so dont hide in your room. If someone is sat next to you then make the effort to talk and get peoples names. Everyone will have questions so just join in the conversation and tag along if you decide to go for a drink soemthing to eat or visit campus. You will soon be fine as peoples faces get familiar. Its imporant to make the effort at the beginning though as people are more open. It lasts for a few weeks.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hello ,

Try not to base your whole friendship making experience on this group chat - you'll make friends! Once you are in your halls and everyone is chucked into the same boat, you'll make friends in real life. Join in with the group chat! Have the willingness to participate - make the effort, both over the internet and in real life and you'll see the same returned - try not to worry yourself because you've got a university of possible friendships.

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Makhib19)
    Aww Ariel, do not worry. You will make friends no problem and it will alright. Dont feel down from the group chat, you will be definetely able to join in the conversations once you go to Uni! What university are yoi going to if you dont mind me asking? If you would like you could message me as I will be starting uni in 2 weeks!
    Thank you! I'm starting Royal Holloway, you?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone I've just been so worried!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in exactly the same boat as you in regards to group chat! Some of the people seem really nice and some have even added me, but Idk man, I don't feel like I fit in

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! I'm starting Royal Holloway, you?
    Congratulations on being admitted

Glasgow University
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    It's just the same as moving to a new school; apart from this one's a boarding school with less rules, and the people there will all have something in common with you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elastichedgehog)
    I'm in exactly the same boat as you in regards to group chat! Some of the people seem really nice and some have even added me, but Idk man, I don't feel like I fit in
    I'm sure you'll be fine! We're all in the same boat I suppose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Makhib19)
    Congratulations on being admitted

Glasgow University
    Congrats! What are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    I would stay away from group chats for a while they cause too much drama and are full of shade.Try just making conversation with people in your halls and you will soon find out if you have anything in common and will soon make friends.Dont worry most people are decent human beings and are great to be friends with.Good luck in UNI

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.