Highlight help! Watch

thatsjustit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
How many of you have had highlights and has it ever gone wrong? Yes, feel free to tell any horror stories

I really want some subtle ones for autumn/winter. I only want a few shades lighter than my natural (medium blonde) haircoulour and as natural as possible.

How do you think I should describe this to the colourist? I have never had highlights before so I have no idea. Would it be best to find a picture of a celeb with highlights I like? I do not want to end up with huge streaks of platinum blonde! And btw, I am likely to be going to a top salon so that lowers the risk somewhat, but I just don't know how to explain what I want. They tend to go 'extreme', even if you ask for something subtle

Thank you in advance!
interlude88
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You'd be better just going in and saying that you want highlights, they'll pick out a colour for you and discuss it with you so it's definately what you want.
ChocolateEyes
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
When you go make it very clear you only want to go a few shades lighter than your original colour. Maybe think about getting two or three shades to add depth to your hair colour, however if this the first time you have had highlights it might be wise to stick to one shade. You should be shown a shade chart in the hairdressers so you can pick which shades you like - your hairdresser will be able to help you here. Take in a picture of the tpe of style and colour you like if you want but remember that it will have to be adaped to suit your hair tone.
beach surf babe
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I only wanted really natural highlights and thats basically what I said- it was the first time I'd ever had any colour added to my hair so I said I wanted something really subtle and natural looking. The colourist suggested a lighter colour and a slightly darker colour and it looked great. As long as you explicitly say that you want it really subtle they should stick to that. I didn't take any pictures in and to be honest I don't think they are much help. Any decent colourist will be able to suggest something that suits you based on what you want.
toffeesweets
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My friend did highlights and it went WHITE :rofl: She had dark brown hair :rofl: :p: She tried to dye it back to brown but had these weird streaks in her hair. I couldn't stop laughing. She got it fixed in the end. :cool:
thatsjustit
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
^ Eek!

Thank you everyone for the advice.
TheShrimp
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think you should be fine if you're going to a top salon.

I definitely recommend taking in a photo if you find something you love. Last time I got highlights done I just told the hairdresser I wanted really subtle, natural, half-head of highlights & it turned out great (considering it cost £100-odd it better have done!)
Ten Green Bottles
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I have natural highlights, so I know very little about the whole salon thing. But if you go somewhere decent where your colourist has experience then you shouldn't have a problem.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (274)
27.32%
No (729)
72.68%

Watched Threads