Will unis take me seriously with Film Studies?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi so I got an A in As film studies and I was just wondering if the top unis count this as a subject.my other 2 subjects are History(B) and English lit (c)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That depends what you'd be looking at studying at uni. If you're looking at film studies courses, then perfect! Physics, not so much.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what you want to do at uni

ReputationRep:
    unis only shun general studies, but it really depends what you want to do...? what do you want to do?

ReputationRep:
    if its not film related, then you will need to do well in the other subjects more importantly...
    idk how it works anymore but you should be able to bump those grades up to get into a v good course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minjinoor)
    unis only shun general studies, but it really depends what you want to do...? what do you want to do?
    Don't forget Critical Thinking!

ReputationRep:
    Law or history

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They will as long as it's a Bachelor of Arts (BA)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah hopefully they predict me AAB as the history and English are new spec so don't count to A2

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What is a BA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnatt27)
    Law or history

Posted from TSR Mobile
    History, you should be fine as long as you make sure to get a nice solid A2 grade in that subject, preferably your strongest.

Law... eeeeh, you're pushing it a bit more there. You'll at the very least need to maximise English Lit and preferably also History as much as absolutely possible.

What is a BA?Posted from TSR Mobile
    A BA is the course you'll be taking if doing, say, History. If you're doing Law, that would instead very specifically be a LLB. That latter is a trickier path to go down, but it depends what sort of law you're interested in as a career.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flame Alchemist)
    History, you should be fine as long as you make sure to get a nice solid A2 grade, preferably your strongest.

Law... eeeeh, you're pushing it a bit more there. You'll at the very least need to maximise English Lit and preferably also History as much as absolutely possible.
    This guy knows what he's talking about

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay thanks so would AAB in film history and English lit be competitive for law at RG unis? If not I will probably definitely go history then conversion course for law rather than end up in a crappy uni doing law

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay thanks so would AAB in film history and English lit be competitive for law at RG unis? If not I will probably definitely go history then conversion course for law rather than end up in a crappy uni doing law

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're spot on that there's very little point doing law at a not very prestigious uni; it suffers from this perhaps more than any other subject. Sad truth.

AAB / ABB is pretty much the general benchmark for the majority of medium-high ranking unis.

ReputationRep:
    Ah so it refers to any subject that includes essays then

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So would that include unis like Liverpool and Queens Mary London?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah so it refers to any subject that includes essays then

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What, BA? Sooorrrrtt oooffff, it distinguishes an 'art' subject from a 'science' (BSc). The line, however, is very blurred. Psychology courses, a science subject, are extremely essay-heavy. For other sciences, your mileage may vary.

If anything, there's an increasing tendency for courses to just be their own thing, especially where engineering in a general sense is concerned. BEng/MEng, BComp/MComp etc.

So would that include unis like Liverpool and Queens Mary London?Posted from TSR Mobile
    AAB / ABB are the example offers you'll see pretty much everywhere. Lower unis will instead go for less than this, often expressing requirements more generally as a mere UCAS Points threshold. Ultimately, you'll just have to look at all the unis which interest you for each of their specific requirements.

ReputationRep:
    Hi so I got an A in As film studies and I was just wondering if the top unis count this as a subject.my other 2 subjects are History(B) and English lit (c)
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey there,

Are you planning to study in London? Come visit us this coming Open Day
    Check our BA Digital Film Production course and see the requirements for yourself!
    Check us out Ravensbourne

Good luck!
    Ahlia

ReputationRep:
    Umm that's a crap uni no thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Umm that's a crap uni no thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha. Burned.

In response to OP, film studies is a weaker subject that will slightly reduce your options for top universities and some STEM courses.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 30, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you ever go to a non Russell Group uni?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.