Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking about applying to Nottingham but i don't really know anything about it compared to other universities so can anyone tell me stuff, like:

- is it campus/city based?
    - what are the living costs like?
    - is the accomodation good?
    - are there many rahs?
    - are there good sports & social facilities?
    - how far is it to the shops?

Etc. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    I'm thinking about applying to Nottingham but i don't really know anything about it compared to other universities so can anyone tell me stuff, like:

- are there many rahs?

Etc. Thanks.
    Um, can't answer all of them... but it's BIG, green, pretty campus on the edge of the city, I'm not exactly sure how far out. You can see some of the campus here. :cool:

Try and get hold of Rah or .NK- they've always been lovely and helpful when it comes to my questions about Nottingham.

ReputationRep:
    The campus is about 2 miles outside of the city - 10mins on bus (and also walkable from the 'cityend' in about 30 mins.

Living costs - Fees for halls will be somewhere on the Notts website. Probably average around £3000 for year now. The halls are fine - new ones remind me of travel lodges! Living out of halls, expect to pay £60 ish a week rent, plus bills and food.

Sports - excellent, though not cheap considering for students. Lovely pool and gym.

Union ... hmmm, some people love it, but I think it's a weak point. Having said that, I haven't seen it since it's been done up (Medics (at least the one's I know) don't tend to go on campus so don't go to union)

2 Sainsury's - one a couple of miles from each end of the campus. Tesco in city centre. Asda in Radford (not nicest of areas).

HTH

joy has answered this pretty well so just skip the bits i reiterate or whatever

campus but only a 30 minute walk/10 minute bus trip (£1.20 damn them!) into nottingham city center which is great for shopping/nightlife etc

erm something like £90 a week for halls i think? as all the halls are catered its pretty much standard but 2nd years rents in the 'trendy' area of lenton are a little pricey, less than £60 a week is getting rarer

most of the halls are nice but some are definetly prettier than others and will vary in room size and jcr facilities. broadgate, the self-catered area, has major problems with jarvis who i'm told are a bunch of morons. all have lovely super fast nottingham cable internet connections which i miss

- are there many rahs?

they seem to be concentrated in certain halls- hu stu is basically seperated in to posh old building rahs and normal scummy new buildings, lincoln, cripps and lenton all have high rah proportions but then so do most decent uni's. it probably depends more on subject. oh and there are only 2 rahs out of 1000ish people in broadgate, fact hehe.

yep the nottingham teams are very good and regularly win busa, well when loughborough are injured or something. the gym is well stocked and fairly cheap and you can usually get a squash court or tennis one if you remember to book in advance. there is also a very good social life for au members(any sports team member) and their night at isis on wednesdays is great.

first years basically shop in beeston as its only a 15 minute walk which has everything you will need food and drink ( ) wise, nottingham was voted one of the best places to shop outside london and has great shoe and clothes shops.

dadaa ramble ramble

ReputationRep:
    hope there are plenty rahs lol, posh folk are great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dancin Bill)
    hope there are plenty rahs lol, posh folk are great!

So is that what people mean when they say rah? A posh person? Or is it a posh snobby person because isn't there a difference?.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by young_free)
    So is that what people mean when they say rah? A posh person? Or is it a posh snobby person because isn't there a difference?.
    Well, I've been told that it actually stands for Rich *********, so make of that what you will!

ReputationRep:
    may be because a stereotypical posh person is assumed to say 'rah' a lot. im more used to the term 'toff' myself

ReputationRep:
    i call em '*****' myself... has more of a ring to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James_W)
    i call em '*****' myself... has more of a ring to it.
    lmao

classic

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 24, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.