Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I will be doing math, physics, chem and further M. I was wondering if the books below + working hard would be enough to get me an A* by the end of the 2 years.

Chemistry: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chemistry-L...y+a+level+2016

Physics same book aswell

Maths and further Maths: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-AS-...=maths+a+level

Obviously with the maths id have to keep buying new books for when units change.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    I did Edexcel for Chemistry so I don't know what the textbooks are like for AQA, but the Edexcel one i was given wasn't that good. A textbook on its own is definitely not enough for an A* on it's own though. For chemistry I recommend chemguide.com for very good explanations, and the person who created the site also has a very good textbook on calculations called 'Calculations in AS/A level Chemistry' for both AS and A2.

ReputationRep:
    I did AQA but the old spec

I HATED the book for chemistry -- the new one is admittedly quite a bit better (from a glance) but I'd recommend the CGP student book. It's like a textbook but without half the faff. And one thing you will appreciate is full worked solutions for everything. The book you've selected is good for once you know everything pretty solid, as a way to widen your knowledge, but it's not a starting point. The definitions are rubbish and it just doesn't explain itself very well.

The maths books however I do quite like but would still recommend the CGP books because they have worked solutions for all the questions. There's less support at a level and it's frustrating when you can't see where you've gone wrong. The core modules I'd say it's up to you but ***100%*** I recommend getting cgp if you're doing stats.

Edit sorry forgot to include I did edexcel for maths

ReputationRep:
    Regarding CGP books, they are a nice way to consolidate work, but remember they are revision guides, so don't solely rely on the CGP book to get a good grade. Some people in my class did this and throughout the year would complain 'this stuff isn't in my textbook' when in fact they just hadn't bothered to go through the actual textbook. Basically just remember the CGP might not have everything

ReputationRep:
    So as long as I understand everything in the official textbooks, I should be good to get the high grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JerryG)
    So as long as I understand everything in the official textbooks, I should be good to get the high grades?
    Knowing and understanding the content is very important, but being able to apply your knowledge and understanding is also key, especially in physics where quite a few questions were about applying knowledge to unknown situations, and I think that's where doing past papers becomes quite useful.
    But yeah, a good understanding should get you further than just memorising

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JerryG)
    Hi, I will be doing math, physics, chem and further M. I was wondering if the books below + working hard would be enough to get me an A* by the end of the 2 years.

Chemistry: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chemistry-L...y+a+level+2016

Physics same book aswell

Maths and further Maths: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-AS-...=maths+a+level

Obviously with the maths id have to keep buying new books for when units change.

Thanks
    Yes for maths
    I don't know about chemistry since it's a new spec

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.