Great British BakeOff 2016 Thread

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I noticed that no-ones started a thread so I thought I may as well go for it. [EDIT: dangit, there is another thread :'( )

feel free to post stuff about the show, stuff you have attempted to make and nothing derogatory or offensive.

the 1st show of the season was weirdly on my 25th birthday and inspired me to make an asian version of a savoy sponge (difference between savoy and genoise is genoise you dont separate the egg and savoy you do (also some recipes call for butter in genoise)).

In the region of india 3 of my grandparents are from, there is a cake called rhot (spelt rot I think but sounds like it is spelt rhot) which is essentially a cake made with semolina flour and flavoured with saffron and cardamom.

the cake I made was a savoy sponge with cardamom and saffron and topped / filled with a rose and pistachio white chocolate buttercream icecream

ReputationRep:
    Loving the show so far - can't wait til biscuits :woo: :excited:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    o:
    I think my favourite contestant so far is^^
    Name:  Cake.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  354.1 KB
    I made this cake, inspired by the cake on the title sequence to the programme, for my youth club's bake-off
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I won

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    Loving the show so far - can't wait til biscuits :woo:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    o:
    I made this cake, inspired by the cake on the title sequence to the programme, for my youth club's bake-off
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I won
    this week is biscuits!

I was expecting him to win star baker last week but that old lady won.

1 thing I am sad by is that paul and mary have banned macarons (expecting frenchie (@frenchunicorn) to correct me and say macaroons:lol:) and cupcakes.

the sad thing is that I have finally learnt how to make macarons!!! (incidentally, I dont suppose anyone knows any supermarkets which store powdered food colouring as liquid ones split macarons and half of the gel ones arent veggie friendly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    this week is biscuits!
    I was expecting him to win star baker last week but that old lady won.
    1 thing I am sad by is that paul and mary have banned macarons (expecting frenchie (@frenchunicorn) to correct me and say macaroons:lol:) and cupcakes.
    the sad thing is that I have finally learnt how to make macarons!!! (incidentally, I dont suppose anyone knows any supermarkets which store powdered food colouring as liquid ones split macarons and half of the gel ones arent veggie friendly
    yup :woo:
    ikr :shakecane:
    frenchie wouldn't dare
    :erm: yh
    XD nope sorry, ask google? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    yup :woo:
    ikr :shakecane:
    frenchie wouldn't dare
    :erm: yh
    XD nope sorry, ask google? :dontknow:
    thats ok. btw, great cake, I had trouble trying to ice the outside of my cake as I dont have a turntable at home or piping bags

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    thats ok. btw, great cake, I had a lot of trying to ice the outside of my cake as I dont have a turntable at home or piping bags

haha thanks!
    Its just a mix of cream and dark choc, I used a spatula and palette knife to get it on the outside as I don't own any piping bags either

ReputationRep:
    Loving the show so far - can't wait til biscuits :woo: :excited:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    o:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I won
    That is the most beautiful cake i've ever seen.
    Can I have it all please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by umar39)
    That is the most beautiful cake i've ever seen.
    Can I have it all please?
    :rofl: I think it looks quite shabby actually :rofl:
    its long gone - sorry...

ReputationRep:
    Loving the bake off, i love Jane she is so cute and the really calm guy (Cannot remember his name!!!) p

ReputationRep:
    That cake looks absolutely delicious

I'm actually watching GBBO for the first time ever, it's one of those shows that I say I'm going to watch and then I don't

My favourite baker so far is Selasi and I'm also confused as to why he didn't get star baker...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IKEAPanda37)

I'm actually watching GBBO for the first time ever, it's one of those shows that I say I'm going to watch and then I don't

My favourite baker so far is Selasi and I'm also confused as to why he didn't get star baker...
    cheers, believe me I'd give u all a slice if it was still with us #ripcake
    omg - welcome to the GBBO clan this is my 3rd series watching I hope u are enjoying it!He's my favourite as well :five: - that lady denied him!!!!!!! :unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    cheers, believe me I'd give u all a slice if it was still with us #ripcake
    omg - welcome to the GBBO clan this is my 3rd series watching I hope u are enjoying it!He's my favourite as well :five: - that lady denied him!!!!!!! :unimpressed:
    Haha
    Thank you Yeah definitely loving it, can't believe I didn't start watching it earlier
    :five: Yes, she so did

(I'm still not receiving notifications)

ReputationRep:
    Haha
    Thank you Yeah definitely loving it, can't believe I didn't start watching it earlier
    :five: Yes, she so did
    (I'm still not receiving notifications)
    :mmm:np yeah! But at least you've joined the crew now!U may never leave ikr!
    (stupid tsrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr )

ReputationRep:
    :mmm:np yeah! But at least you've joined the crew now!U may never leave ikr!
    (stupid tsrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr )
    Haha Btw thanks for the follow, following you straight back

ReputationRep:
    Really want another Dorret Melting pudding moment again this year
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 60
Size:  27.6 KB

ReputationRep:

im shocked selasi didnt win star baker last week :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkberry_y)
    I felt so guilty when I laughed at that last year

So far my favourite is Selasi, he's just so calm and enjoys it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    any reckon we'll see any soggy biscuits this week? Im surprised the amount of matcha used last week (I myself like japanese culture yet havent had any food minus sushis (fav is salmon sashimi) and katsus (incidentally, japanese currys are bad news for diabetics as they are packed with sugar)).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    any reckon we'll see any soggy biscuits this week? Im surprised the amount of matcha used last week (I myself like japanese culture yet havent had any food minus sushis (fav is salmon sashimi) and katsus (incidentally, japanese currys are bad news for diabetics as they are packed with sugar)).
    I think we'll be seeing more of the soggy stuff when it gets to pudding week

Have you tried the chicken katsus curry from Wasabi by any chance? it is to die for.

ReputationRep:
    I think we'll be seeing more of the soggy stuff when it gets to pudding week

Have you tried the chicken katsus curry from Wasabi by any chance? it is to die for.
    I cant wait for puds
    nope (but sounds tempting) is it halal (or kosher) ?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you ever go to a non Russell Group uni?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.