Money spending on average for students on accomodations Watch

RangerX
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hello, I'm a newbie here and I think this might have been done b4 but I need to know.
How much do you spend per year as a student minus the tution fees. I don't know how much it would cost me per year as I not getting a student loan. Include like accomodations fees, foods and like pocket money...Please let me know!
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Accommodation: 115/week
Food: 25-30/week
Transportation: 10-15/week
Books: 10/week
Everything else: 5-30/week
Fluent in Lies
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Accomodation, dunnow
Food, £20
RangerX
Rep:
?
(Original post by more adventurous)
Accommodation: 115/week
Food: 25-30/week
Transportation: 10-15/week
Books: 10/week
Everything else: 5-30/week

wow, that works out to about 700quid per month. Very costly, As I'm not entitled to a student loan I think it's better if I stay at home which sucks. I might have to get a private loan but I don't like the idea at all
Fluent in Lies
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm not quite sure how you spend £10 on books a week though...
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by RangerX)
wow, that works out to about 700quid per month. Very costly, As I'm not entitled to a student loan I think it's better if I stay at home which sucks. I might have to get a private loan but I don't like the idea at all
That's for London. Where is your uni?

Students in certain other parts of the country pay, like, 50-60 quid a week for accommodation, which seems shockingly low to me.
Kate.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My accomodation will be between £64 & £79 a week I think, depending on which I get into. I'll have £92-£108 left per week apparently (this is over 40 weeks, as that's how long my accomodation contract is) and I'll probably spend £15-£20 a week on food. Maybe £20 every other week when I go home for the weekend to see my boyfriend. Not sure about anything else...

I'm not actually at university yet though, these are just guesses.
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Fluent in Lies)
I'm not quite sure how you spend £10 on books a week though...
I study English Lit...
Fluent in Lies
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah and I spend £3000/year on camera stuff but the average student doesnt.
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm talking about books for my course. Why wouldn't I include that? :confused:
RangerX
Rep:
?
That's for London. Where is your uni?

Students in certain other parts of the country pay, like, 50-60 quid a week for accommodation, which seems shockingly low to me.
Actually I cant be arsed to go to uni but I would be going to Farnborough college of technology instead to study my bachelor degree course because they charge fees at £1,225 per year. I can afford to fund myself
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by RangerX)
Actually I cant be arsed to go to uni but I would be going to Farnborough college of technology instead to study my bachelor degree course because they charge fees at £1,225 per year. I can afford to fund myself
"Farnborough" sounds like some place cheap...

Why don't you look at their website and find out how much their accommodation costs, if they have any?
Fluent in Lies
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm talking about books for my course. Why wouldn't I include that? :confused:
Maybe I study photography?

Because I don't know anyone else that spends that much, and as of such will lead to unrealistic expectations for the OP.
RangerX
Rep:
?
"Farnborough" sounds like some place cheap...

Why don't you look at their website and find out how much their accommodation costs, if they have any?
I had a look I think it cost around 65 to 100 per week. Farnborough tech. is supported by surrey university and it's good and cheap i think
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Fluent in Lies)
Maybe I study photography?

Because I don't know anyone else that spends that much, and as of such will lead to unrealistic expectations for the OP.
Good for you if you do?

All students need to buy books, few need to buy photography equipment. The question was "How much do you spend per year as a student minus the tution fees?" not "How much does the average student spend?" I answered the question he asked. Is that alright with you?

And I imagine most students of English literature will spend something around that figure.
gracie88
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
This is what i spent..

Rent: £68 a week
Food: £15-20 a week
Travel: £20 a week
Electricity: £2.00 a week
Internet: £2.50 a week
Everything else: £30 a week maybe if not less.
Fluent in Lies
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Good for you if you do?

All students need to buy books, few need to buy photography equipment.

The question was "How much do you spend per year as a student minus the tution fees?" not "How much does the average student spend?" I answered the question he asked. Is that alright with you?
See I use this thing called independent thought. I thought it might be more helpful to include what might be a more probably expendature, rather than my precise accounts, which likely are not indicative of a typical student in areas. Because this wasnt a survey on what your spending habits were, it was a help thread.

You were just following the instructions I appreciate that.
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm sure "Accomodation, dunnow" helped him out greatly.

And yes, it is a survey on what your spending habits are, as evidenced by the fact that he asked what our specific spending habits are and the fact that he asked us to include "accomodations fees, foods and like pocket money." Presumably, he was looking for a range of different responses so he could work out what he is likely to spend. This ain't rocket science.
erk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Rent - 100quid a week.
Everything else - 100 + a week.

London. The everything else section is a bit vague, because i generally spend more during term-time, holiday time less as ppl go home, i work so dont go out week nights etc etc. bills vary from summer to winter, especially heating a six bedroom house! These past few weeks i've spent less than 100 a week, but it must average more than that.
Fluent in Lies
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm sure "Accomodation, dunnow" helped him out greatly.

And yes, it is a survey on what your spending habits are, as evidenced by the fact that he asked what our specific spending habits are and the fact that he asked us to include "accomodations fees, foods and like pocket money." Presumably, he was looking for a range of different responses so he could work out what he is likely to spend. This ain't rocket science.
You're right
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.65%
No (667)
60.69%
Not really bothered about them (227)
20.66%

Watched Threads