Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,I am a current GCSE student(going into Y11) and my ambition is to become a theoretical physicist.

My goals is to study physics at oxford...As physics is not a vocational course does it require work experience?

I know friends who want to do medicine and are applying for WE in hospital(They are 16 though)...

Is it recommended to do physics WE for University of oxford)?/Is it possible(As i have not come across any)?

If so,Where and how exactly should i do work experience?How long does it last?How much should i have for a top university?

And also,am i old enough for physics WE(I'm 15)...
    Finally,am i doing this at a late stage?I have wanted to a physicist for a long time but is V.early Y11 Late/Early for Physics WE in comparison to the majority of people/Normal?

A in-depth answer would be greatly appreciated!

Also,I live in the UK for your reference...

Thanks!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by VNN)
    Hello,I am a current GCSE student(going into Y11) and my ambition is to become a theoretical physicist.

My goals is to study physics at oxford...As physics is not a vocational course does it require work experience?

I know friends who want to do medicine and are applying for WE in hospital(They are 16 though)...

Is it recommended to do physics WE for University of oxford)?/Is it possible(As i have not come across any)?

If so,Where and how exactly should i do work experience?How long does it last?How much should i have for a top university?

And also,am i old enough for physics WE(I'm 15)...
    Finally,am i doing this at a late stage?I have wanted to a physicist for a long time but is V.early Y11 Late/Early for Physics WE in comparison to the majority of people/Normal?

A in-depth answer would be greatly appreciated!

Also,I live in the UK for your reference...

Thanks!
    in the summer of year 11, apply for a Nuffield research placement http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/nu...rch-placements
    ask for physics
    job done I'm just finishing mine on engineering/physics so feel free to VM with questions but would highly reccomend this there is also a thread on it: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3797577

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    in the summer of year 11, apply for a Nuffield research placement http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/nu...rch-placements
    ask for physics
    job done I'm just finishing mine on engineering/physics so feel free to VM with questions but would highly recommend this there is also a thread on it: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3797577
    As you probably know,It is the summer of y10 for me...Do i HAVE to be 16 to do physics WE?Can i do it before Y11 SUMMER?

I curious as I'm very keen to get started and get a competitive edge as oxford is a top University?

Also,Is it very useful for course like physics?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by VNN)
    As you probably know,It is the summer of y10 for me...Do i HAVE to be 16 to do physics WE?Can i do it before Y11 SUMMER?

I curious as I'm very keen to get started and get a competitive edge as oxford is a top University?

Also,Is it very useful for course like physics?
    this scheme is directed for students in year 12 so for this one yes, if u ask other places then maybe not? Idk - its all about schemes and safety and stuff
    yeah I get u
    it is very useful especially if u get a really good project - mines was on cryogenic engines and stuff but there is a real range, u can also phone up companies there are in ure area and see if they will take u? Then u can plan ur own project?Hope this helps u dude

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    this scheme is directed for students in year 12 so for this one yes, if u ask other places then maybe not? Idk - its all about schemes and safety and stuff
    yeah I get u
    it is very useful especially if u get a really good project - mines was on cryogenic engines and stuff but there is a real range, u can also phone up companies there are in ure area and see if they will take u? Then u can plan ur own project?Hope this helps u dude
    Thanks!

Any recommended companies?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by VNN)
    Thanks!

Any recommended companies?
    try Thales? that's the first one that came up in my head :rofl:
    but do some research m8!

ReputationRep:
    physics is a theoretical subject. it's not like medicine and nursing where you can get work experience, per se.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raees_Sharif)
    physics is a theoretical subject. it's not like medicine and nursing where you can get work experience, per se.
    is it possible though?

ReputationRep:
    Work experience is not at all required for a physics course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Work experience is not at all required for a physics course.
    But it is good to have right?For personal and CV purposes?

ReputationRep:
    It won't really make a difference to be honest.

As far as Oxford is concerned, you're better off focusing on your GCSEs right now and on the PAT (physics admission test) once you start college.

If you were to do (even as little as two weeks) work experience at any point before writing your personal statement you could dedicate a paragraph to it and expect to be asked about it during your interview (if you get one), however still expect most of your interview questions to be academic.

ReputationRep:
    It won't really make a difference to be honest.

As far as Oxford is concerned, you're better off focusing on your GCSEs right now and on the PAT (physics admission test) once you start college.

If you were to do (even as little as two weeks) work experience at any point before writing your personal statement you could dedicate a paragraph to it and expect to be asked about it during your interview (if you get one), however still expect most of your interview questions to be academic.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by VNN)
    Not really. I think you get more than enough experience at uni with a subject like theoretical physics.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by VNN)
    Not really. I think you get more than enough experience at uni for a subject like theoretical physics.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 30, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.