Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    --

ReputationRep:
    Not compulsary, no.

ReputationRep:
    but you'd be pretty stupid to try and take a test without any practice... you won't know what the examiner is looking for.

ReputationRep:
    It'd be ok to learn the basics with someone, family etc. but to pass the test you definetely need an instructor.

ReputationRep:
    no there not compulsary but i would suggest you do have a few even if you're thinkin of learning with your dad or something cus then they can tell you how to do things 'properly' like when you should be looking in mirrors, shoulder checks, proper checks on roundabouts ect. driving instructors can give you more advise on the tests and they will know the test routes like the back of their hand so they can teach what you need to do at difficult junctions ect

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wesetters)
    Well no, not really. Plenty of people pass their test without an instructor. That's not to say I wouldn't recommend one though.
    Errr, do you reside in the uk?

ReputationRep:
    one of my friends passed first time 2 months after she turned 17, after having had no lessons with an instructor, so it can be done. not easy though, & i'd say at least a couple of lessons would increase your chances of passing by a lot!

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want lessons get someone to teach you to drive but get an instructor to teach you how to pass the test.

ReputationRep:
    *Nods* Definetely take some lessons. My instructor knew all the Lincoln test routes like the back of his hands - so he knew which roads I should be practising on. Of course, private practice is important too, but it's the instructors who are 'up to date' with what is needed to pass nowadays. Learning from others can mean that you end up learning their bad habits, too.

ReputationRep:
    I passed my test without any lessons. My dad taught me it all .

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.