The Student Room Group

Should/Can I get my french remarked?

I was unbelievably happy with my GCSE results this year, I managed to get 8 A*s & 3 As which is more than I could have hoped for, however I'm a little upset with my A in AQA French.

I'd be so, so happy with an A if I thought that's what I deserved but I got 2 A*s in the exams (better than I'd ever got!) so was surprised to have come out with an A overall. It turns out my controlled assessments (that I had been told by my teacher were two A*s) had been marked as an A & a B?? Mine weren't sent off in the sample to the exam board so I presume the ones that had were overmarked so they lowered everyone's grades. The work on my controlled assessments were definitely high A/A* quality, I was so proud of them. What irritates me is the fact that they have both been graded down without the exam board even reading them!

I am 7 UMS marks off an A* so my question is whether my controlled assessments (or just one of them) can be remarked to hopefully push me up to the A*?

Ps. I'm really sorry if this comes across as ungrateful with an A because I know that's an amazing grade but I just feel like I deserved the A* with the work I've put in & I feel its unjust to be downgraded when your work hasn't even been looked at.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lowza
I was unbelievably happy with my GCSE results this year, I managed to get 8 A*s & 3 As which is more than I could have hoped for, however I'm a little upset with my A in AQA French.

I'd be so, so happy with an A if I thought that's what I deserved but I got 2 A*s in the exams (better than I'd ever got!) so was surprised to have come out with an A overall. It turns out my controlled assessments (that I had been told by my teacher were two A*s) had been marked as an A & a B?? Mine weren't sent off in the sample to the exam board so I presume the ones that had were overmarked so they lowered everyone's grades. The work on my controlled assessments were definitely high A/A* quality, I was so proud of them. What irritates me is the fact that they have both been graded down without the exam board even reading them!

I am 7 UMS marks off an A* so my question is whether my controlled assessments (or just one of them) can be remarked to hopefully push me up to the A*?

Ps. I'm really sorry if this comes across as ungrateful with an A because I know that's an amazing grade but I just feel like I deserved the A* with the work I've put in & I feel its unjust to be downgraded when your work hasn't even been looked at.

I'm afraid that you can't request your CA to be remarked. Either the whole cohort's has to be remarked (and everyone has to agree to it) or nobody's, so it's up to your school. The A is brilliant, however.
Reply 2
Original post by usycool1
I'm afraid that you can't request your CA to be remarked. Either the whole cohort's has to be remarked (and everyone has to agree to it) or nobody's, so it's up to your school. The A is brilliant, however.

That's what I feared:frown: I hardly think that it's fair to have your work remarked by someone who hasn't even read it. And yes I'd honestly be so happy with the A in any other situation, it's just a little bittersweet at the moment. Maybe I can convince my school to get everyones remarked?:colondollar:
Original post by lowza
That's what I feared:frown: I hardly think that it's fair to have your work remarked by someone who hasn't even read it. And yes I'd honestly be so happy with the A in any other situation, it's just a little bittersweet at the moment. Maybe I can convince my school to get everyones remarked?:colondollar:

Your school will have to convince everyone else. :tongue:
Reply 4
French (or any other modern foreign language) writing is an the exception to the controlled assessment/coursework rule. It is not marked in school and externally moderated but marked directly by the exam board which means you can go for a single re-mark. Your school will have marked it themselves (as they need to know which ones are good enough to send off) so ask what they marked it as and whether they think it's worth a re-mark. In my experience the Writing marking is quite erratic and big changes are possible.
Original post by Compost
French (or any other modern foreign language) writing is an the exception to the controlled assessment/coursework rule. It is not marked in school and externally moderated but marked directly by the exam board which means you can go for a single re-mark. Your school will have marked it themselves (as they need to know which ones are good enough to send off) so ask what they marked it as and whether they think it's worth a re-mark. In my experience the Writing marking is quite erratic and big changes are possible.

My goodness, I am so out of the loop with everything right now! Was this just brought in this year?
My goodness, I am so out of the loop with everything right now! Was this just brought in this year?

No, you have always been able to request a remark for CAs marked by the exam board. You can't request a remark for CAs marked by the schools (eg. Science ISAs),
Original post by BobBobson
No, you have always been able to request a remark for CAs marked by the exam board. You can't request a remark for CAs marked by the schools (eg. Science ISAs),

Yes, I know that - I meant French now being externally marked.
Reply 8

No, it's been the case since the current specs were first examined in 2011.
Original post by Compost
No, it's been the case since the current specs were first examined in 2011.

No idea how I never realised that for French then!
No idea how I never realised that for French then!

Same for (as far as I know) all the MFL. Certainly true for the main ones - French, German & Spanish. It must be an Ofqual thing as all the exam boards are the same.
Original post by Compost
Same for (as far as I know) all the MFL. Certainly true for the main ones - French, German & Spanish. It must be an Ofqual thing as all the exam boards are the same.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest