Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello. So I'm new to the forum. Haven't had much talking with anybody else yet :P. I joined the forum basically because I am revising for the A-level and would love to have some friends who I can revise with. Nice to know you!

I'm working on Psychology and my exam board is CIE. I've been thinking about this one question on Veale and Riley mirror gazing study. The question asks me to explain why one of the two matched variables, age and sex, might have been important to the study.

I understand that some variables are matched because similarity in certain features of the participants are crucial to the study, i.e. some inborn traits of the participants may influence the results. Controlling these variables is one way to make sure the participants are in the same condition. As for this particular study, I think sex might be important. Women are frequently more concerned with their appearance than men, which can potentially increase their vulnerability to BDD - just my guess though. But what does this have to do with the purpose of the study, which is to determine the function, effects and motivation of mirror gazing to BDD patients? By the way, this is related to another question of mine and this exactly is the reason why I cannot answer the first question. Why a control group is necessary in this case? Why don't they just investigate the thoughts of the patients to fulfill the purpose? Why a comparison with normality is needed in order to know what the patients think?

Would love to hear your ideas so much! My goal is an a so I really really want to answer every question as thoroughly as I can . Thanks a bunch!

P/S: I'm also studying Sociology

ReputationRep:
    Hiya How are you? Hope you don't mind me asking how you're finding the course? Are you also doing CIE Sociology? If so how do you manage lol because Sociology just has so much content. I hate the textbook especially as it's just filled with ridiculous amounts of information. I don't know what's relevant and what's not relevant. I don't want to copy word for word but I have no clue to what's important lol. Psychology's been easier to get around in terms of knowing what is needed and not in my opinion. By the way, do you have to know the dates of sociologists? Same with psychology? I'm guessing you've already taken the AS or A2 exam also

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherry82)
    Hiya How are you? Hope you don't mind me asking how you're finding the course? Are you also doing CIE Sociology? If so how do you manage lol because Sociology just has so much content. I hate the textbook especially as it's just filled with ridiculous amounts of information. I don't know what's relevant and what's not relevant. I don't want to copy word for word but I have no clue to what's important lol. Psychology's been easier to get around in terms of knowing what is needed and not in my opinion. By the way, do you have to know the dates of sociologists? Same with psychology? I'm guessing you've already taken the AS or A2 exam also
    Hi!
    Yeah I also do CIE Sociology. I find it rather engaging, but not because I like Sociology although I developed an interest after getting to know it further. It's because I can find in the textbook information that is relevant to my favourite field, which I let you know of in the previous reply.

What do you mean what's relevant and what's not, and what's important? I suppose in order to get As upwards it's so obvious that we have to fully understand all the arguments, knowing all the main thrust and by doing so you should of course know what's relevant with a specific question (you wouldn't be asking about relevance if you were not assuming some kind of question right?).

One thing you should know. I'm from Vietnam, whose education system is far different from that of the UK. Students in Vietnam have no idea what critical thinking is, and high school curriculum is all about repeating what the teachers say when it comes to subjects that require a lot of reading and writing, one like Sociology. I had to change my way of thinking completely when teaching myself A-levels and it's still a long way ahead for me to reach even a B. I would appreciate so much if we could learn together by exchanging our writings and discuss both AS and A2 lessons and questions , and probably many things more as long as the discussions help us get at least As.

Also, I'm reading books of wider yet relevant topics, or those that have implications to Sociology and Psychology. I will also be reading references as listed at the end of the textbook, not all of them though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.Caster)
    Controlling these variables is one way to make sure the participants are in the same condition.
    No, controlling these variables ensures they do not confound the study, and that differences found are associated with BDD, not these other variables.

As for this particular study, I think sex might be important. Women are frequently more concerned with their appearance than men, which can potentially increase their vulnerability to BDD - just my guess though. But what does this have to do with the purpose of the study, which is to determine the function, effects and motivation of mirror gazing to BDD patients?
    That sounds fair enough. The reason you have to control for sex is so that differences are not due to general sex differences, but associated with BDD specifically.

Why a control group is necessary in this case? Why don't they just investigate the thoughts of the patients to fulfill the purpose? Why a comparison with normality is needed in order to know what the patients think?

With no control group, you would have no idea whether any old person put in front of a mirror would feel exactly the same. The thoughts you record might be nothing to do with BDD itself then.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.