Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

EU Commission rules Apple to pay €13bn backtax to Ireland Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-16-2923_en.htm

Thoughts? Neither Apple nor Ireland want the tax to be paid.

Is this EU meddling or correction of the market?

ReputationRep:
    How does this not have any replies yet...

Very interesting case.

1. At what point should countries stop outbidding each other on taxes? I don't care if I get a real low %, at least I get a %.

2. Members within the EU doing this complicates it even worse/

3. Many people think it is wholly unfair that large corporations evade taxes, get tax deals like this, etc.

4. But what is a solution to international tax law? I mean even before this case people were outraged about say Starbucks evading taxes.

Personally I am of the opinion it should of course be illegal to transfer profits between countries in order to avoid taxes. I am not much of a conspiracy theorist or the like, but this is exactly what those people say when they say stuff like "big business rule the world".

In fact, this selective treatment allowed Apple to pay an effective corporate tax rate of 1 per cent on its European profits in 2003 down to 0.005 per cent in 2014."

That is a complete joke.

ReputationRep:
    Apple are not above the law, the EU is well within its rights to enforce its rules against selective tax benefits for certain companies.

ReputationRep:
    The next question, of course, is what penalty will be levied on Ireland for permitting this special status? It cannot, in natural justice, be allowed to get away with agreeing almost no tax, being forced to levy 13 billion and then accepting the windfall, which is sourced ultimately from the taxpayers of the rest of the EU. If they are allowed to get away with it then everyone will try it.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by BasicMistake)
    http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-16-2923_en.htm

Thoughts? Neither Apple nor Ireland want the tax to be paid.

Is this EU meddling or correction of the market?
    If the EU hasrules, then its only right that hey should be enforced. Ireland souldnt break them or seek an unfair advantage over other members. Ireland loves being in the EU taking subsidies or loans, so it cna hardly complain.

Apple shouldnt get an unfiar advanatge by taking advantage of a country in breach of the rules. Its also unfair on other companies in ireland who pay the correct level of tax.

Ireland can ofc appeal, which it intends to do, but if its in breach, then it should ask itself whether it wants to be in the EU and obey its rules or whether it feels like leaving.

Apple should be asking itself how they think a 0.005% tax rate is legitimate and whether it it really wants to do business in the EU or not.

ReputationRep:
    Well the solution to not having other countries copy this, is to stop tax evasion between countries.

Apple transferred all its profits to Ireland, the country that gave them a ridiculous tax rate.

If you cannot transfer profits this could not happen.

The problem is, how do you do that? Come up with one law, companies will find a way around it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 30, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.