Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can postgraduate university see what/where you applied to for undergraduate? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm applying for a Masters degree and I'm wondering whether a university can see what course and university I applied for via UCAS for my undergraduate degree?

Thanks guys!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I doubt it. The systems are different though they may have you on file if you went there.

ReputationRep:
    Normally they'd ask anyway?

Doesn't matter for me as I went to the same Univeristy for both my Masters and my undergrad

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean all the unis you applied for (including those rejected/declined) at undergrad? Almost certainly not. Have you got a particular concern about them knowing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    Do you mean all the unis you applied for (including those rejected/declined) at undergrad? Almost certainly not. Have you got a particular concern about them knowing?
    I think at the interview they'll ask why I want to study that course instead of what I did at undergraduate. Initially, I had wanted to study the course course that I'm applying for now at undergraduate level but I didn't think I'd get in. So I applied for a similar course but missed out on the grades so thought i'd do the current course and take the long route into the master's course - man that sounds cryptic. Does it make sense?

I'm wondering if they'd find out that I applied for a different (similar) course instead of the one that I'm applying for now?

Thanks again
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by MrBean1994)
    I think at the interview they'll ask why I want to study that course instead of what I did at undergraduate. Initially, I had wanted to study the course course that I'm applying for now at undergraduate level but I didn't think I'd get in. So I applied for a similar course but missed out on the grades so thought i'd do the current course and take the long route into the master's course - man that sounds cryptic. Does it make sense?

I'm wondering if they'd find out that I applied for a different (similar) course instead of the one that I'm applying for now?

Thanks again
    No they wouldn't. THere's no mechanism for them to do that and they wouldn't bother anyway.

ReputationRep:

Thanks again
    You could always tell them the truth. You've wanted to do this Masters for a long time and took the best route you could given the circumstances. It certainly shows tenacity with regards to the Masters. Missed A Level grades for an undergrad degree aren't going to be an issue if you now have the necessary degree grade to get into the Masters.

ReputationRep:

Thanks again
    As long as the UG and PG courses are vaguely related and have a logical progression the uni really won't care what you did before. Certainly not what you applied for at UG. PG admissions aren't an inquisition - unis have much better things to do with their time than analyse students' motivations 3+ years previously. Go for it and apply. Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.