The Student Room Group

Unsure what to do!

Hi everyone, so along with many others I have just receieved my GCSE results, and now don't know what to do for A level. I got 3 A*'s in english language, spanish and RE and then 7 A's in the rest.
There are two routes I could go down; one is the science route where I would take chemistry, biology, psychology and english lit and the other is the more arty route where I would take art, english lit and language and psychology. I am naturally much better at the arts, and english and art are my favourite subjects, but I'm worried that I won't be able to find a career with those things. I have always wanted to work with animals, and so I thought the best way would to be go down the scientific route.
Other peopler, like my parents, can't understand why i would want to do science since i have never shown an interest in it before, yet I have always loved drawing and writing, but my experience of GCSE art was not that great, and I'm worried about the workload at A level, especially if I would be taking two english subjects as well. I have always seen universities from the science point of view, which may have altered me slightly, because my brother is reaallly clever and is now doing mechanical engineering and I guess I have always looked to him for inspiration, even though I'm not amazing at science.
It's not so much that I'm worried of being incapable of either, I just worry that with art and english, the workload will be too high for me to cope, and I don't want to lose passion for the subjects, but then I'm not really passionate about science at all, but I think I could do well in it, and it might get me a good job.
Sorry if that made no sense, I'm panicking!
You need to stop and take a breath first! Then think about what you're good at and enjoy and where you'd like to be in terms of careers. Think about uni courses you'd like to do and what the requirements are. Then pick your A levels so that you have a broad range of uni courses to choose from and A level subjects that you enjoy. Get some work experience while you do your A levels.

Quick Reply

Latest