The Student Room Group

Grades for Uni and International

I am an Italian student who's willing to apply for an English/Scottish university for a joint degree in History and German.

Of my five years of Italian College, I've spent my fourth year as an exchange student in York, North Yorkshire, doing A levels and sitting my AS Exams in French, German and History (My results were A, B and C).

Now I've come back to Italy to do my fifth and last year of high school, so I'm going to apply as international student.

In Italy I'm predicted to get full marks in my final exam, but in York, as you have seen, I did good but not great (it was my first time taking exam in another language and with another system, I was very stressed at the time so it was not really a piece of cake).

Now, I was asking myself: do you think that Universities will take in consideration not only my Italian grades but also my As results? I will have to talk about it in my application letter, as it was a very important experience for my decision to apply to Uni in the Uk, but at the same time I'm worried that the not so great grades I got in York will prevent me from getting in a good Uni.

One of my options is Cambridge, and all of my other option's are Russel Group Universities.

As an international student, Unis would care just about my final mark in my Italian final exam (that will allegedly be very high and will meet my Unis of choice's requests), but those AS results that I can't avoid talking about might be a great obstacle.

Does anyone has an answer for my question? Do you think they will take it in consideration ? Do you think that if I e-mailed Unis, they will have an answer? (Especially Cambridge)

Thank you
Original post by Haleri
I am an Italian student who's willing to apply for an English/Scottish university for a joint degree in History and German.

Of my five years of Italian College, I've spent my fourth year as an exchange student in York, North Yorkshire, doing A levels and sitting my AS Exams in French, German and History (My results were A, B and C).

Now I've come back to Italy to do my fifth and last year of high school, so I'm going to apply as international student.

In Italy I'm predicted to get full marks in my final exam, but in York, as you have seen, I did good but not great (it was my first time taking exam in another language and with another system, I was very stressed at the time so it was not really a piece of cake).

Now, I was asking myself: do you think that Universities will take in consideration not only my Italian grades but also my As results? I will have to talk about it in my application letter, as it was a very important experience for my decision to apply to Uni in the Uk, but at the same time I'm worried that the not so great grades I got in York will prevent me from getting in a good Uni.

One of my options is Cambridge, and all of my other option's are Russel Group Universities.

As an international student, Unis would care just about my final mark in my Italian final exam (that will allegedly be very high and will meet my Unis of choice's requests), but those AS results that I can't avoid talking about might be a great obstacle.

Does anyone has an answer for my question? Do you think they will take it in consideration ? Do you think that if I e-mailed Unis, they will have an answer? (Especially Cambridge)

Thank you

email them - it's very unlikely that someone in your situation would be disadvantaged, taking qualifications in a second language while on an exchange year is a positive thing and shows that you're capable of doing well in the UK education system (ABC are good grades)
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
email them - it's very unlikely that someone in your situation would be disadvantaged, taking qualifications in a second language while on an exchange year is a positive thing and shows that you're capable of doing well in the UK education system (ABC are good grades)

Thank you very much for the help, now I'm going to e-mail them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending