Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In the next twenty years, almost 2/3 of the population will be obese.
    How will our economy survive? Economically active people will turn uneconomically active and our dependency ratio will increase. Teleworking will become more common.
    NHS will have to pay billions.
    People will have to retire early - pensions will have to go - younger people will have to save earlier.

Mobile phones will be the next big killer.
    Sperm counts are reduced by almost 1/3 if you leave your phone on in your pocket long term - leads to infertility
    The reason that these stories don't make the tv news is because these companies pay to prevent them being broadcast - they will go bust otherwise.
    Mobile phones will cause potential brain damage if unnecessary calls are made.
    Look what people said about cigarettes - oh look they're harmless - now look whats happened.
    I am 17 and two 10 year old boys came up to me and asked me to buy cigarettes for them - yes 10 years old!!! - this is worrying.

Our finite resources (coal, oil and gas) are only finite and will run out in our lifetime.
    We will have to import from other countries and stock prices will inevitably fluctuate.
    What happens if stock is late - people could die!
    If you watched the What if? program you will know what i'm talking about.

I am worried about all this and I don't have a mobile phone, I eat healthily, I don't drink and I don't smoke and I intend to start saving for my pension when I am 20. People will soon see what I'm talking about. People don't worry now because the effects haven't been seen/predicted - e.g. mobile phones are relatively new inventions so we won't see effects for at least another 20-30 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cdm391)

I am worried about all this and I don't have a mobile phone, I eat healthily, I don't drink and I don't smoke and I intend to start saving for my pension when I am 20. People will soon see what I'm talking about. People don't worry now because the effects haven't been seen/predicted - e.g. mobile phones are relatively new inventions so we won't see effects for at least another 20-30 years.
    I bet you're single

ReputationRep:
    I bet you're a pervert

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered drug abuse? Or suicide?

ReputationRep:
    you worry to much, although some point are valid. but relax try and enjoy life a bit

ReputationRep:
    I bet you're a pervert
    Yes of course, sexual deviance is what makes Britian great

ReputationRep:
    I'm only saying

ReputationRep:
    I don't wanna get fat

Yep, completely agree with you.

Problem is, (like you say), people haven't yet seen the consequences of their actions, and until they do, the reality of what's happening isn't going to hit them.

Did you watch the news this morning, about suburban congestion? It's forecast that over the next 20 years, the roads (motorways in particular) are going to see a 60% increase in congestion. Something to bear in mind is that school runs constitute a lot of morning congestion.

Much as I dislike the American model at times, it appears that having 'school buses' would be a sensible solution. Why have 100 cars out there, caudsing so much polution, when you could have 4 buses>

It's the pollution problem which is highly worrying....I think nuclear enery supply isn't going to appear so ridiculous, or meet so much opposition 20 years from now.

ReputationRep:
    Hydrogen powered vehicles sound excellent.

I don't use a phone, and i'm underweight, so i don't have so much to worry about, this is all rather worrying business though, but it's too much for us to prevent as individuals so we might as well not think about it too much.

Yeah but we're going to need quite a rapid evolution of technology for it to be feasibly implemented any time in the near future(Hydrogen powered vehicles, that is!)

ReputationRep:
    Think of the technological advancements that will come in our lifetime, look at how computers have progressed in the last 10 years..

These facts might be scary but I wouldn't treat them as something that will definatly happen. no one can predict the future like that.

And humans have managed to stay one step ahead of the game so far...

ReputationRep:
    well...breathing is dangerous however we need to do it stay alive! I guess you kinda have to accept, we were designed to die one day, so theres no point in worrying excessively.

Your situations seem to come right from 'If' series from BBC 1!Has anyone else watched it?

ReputationRep:
    B]In the next twenty years, almost 2/3 of the population will be obese.[/B]
    How will our economy survive? Economically active people will turn uneconomically active and our dependency ratio will increase. Teleworking will become more common.
    People will have to retire early - pensions will have to go - younger people will have to save earlier.

This is just scare mongering used by academics to get there name in the paper, yes there is a problem but not as bad as you make it sound

Sperm counts are reduced by almost 1/3 if you leave your phone on in your pocket long term - leads to infertility
    The reason that these stories don't make the tv news is because these companies pay to prevent them being broadcast - they will go bust otherwise.
    Look what people said about cigarettes - oh look they're harmless - now look whats happened.
    I am 17 and two 10 year old boys came up to me and asked me to buy cigarettes for them - yes 10 years old!!! - this is worrying.

If this was the case then why are plenty of people who have been using mobiles for more than 10 years still having kids? I know it can reduce fertality but not as much as yoyu make out.

Our finite resources (coal, oil and gas) are only finite and will run out in our lifetime.
    We will have to import from other countries and stock prices will inevitably fluctuate.

[B]Modern technology such as fuel sells will solve this problem.

ReputationRep:

:cool: you worry tooooo much!

ReputationRep:
    Just chill, have a beer and kill some more brain cells.

ReputationRep:

paranoied? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Care to explain the science behind mobile phones killing sperm?

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.