Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cdm391)
    In the next twenty years, almost 2/3 of the population will be obese.
    How will our economy survive? Economically active people will turn uneconomically active and our dependency ratio will increase. Teleworking will become more common.
    NHS will have to pay billions.
    People will have to retire early - pensions will have to go - younger people will have to save earlier.

Mobile phones will be the next big killer.
    Sperm counts are reduced by almost 1/3 if you leave your phone on in your pocket long term - leads to infertility
    The reason that these stories don't make the tv news is because these companies pay to prevent them being broadcast - they will go bust otherwise.
    Mobile phones will cause potential brain damage if unnecessary calls are made.
    Look what people said about cigarettes - oh look they're harmless - now look whats happened.
    I am 17 and two 10 year old boys came up to me and asked me to buy cigarettes for them - yes 10 years old!!! - this is worrying.

Our finite resources (coal, oil and gas) are only finite and will run out in our lifetime.
    We will have to import from other countries and stock prices will inevitably fluctuate.
    What happens if stock is late - people could die!
    If you watched the What if? program you will know what i'm talking about.

I am worried about all this and I don't have a mobile phone, I eat healthily, I don't drink and I don't smoke and I intend to start saving for my pension when I am 20. People will soon see what I'm talking about. People don't worry now because the effects haven't been seen/predicted - e.g. mobile phones are relatively new inventions so we won't see effects for at least another 20-30 years.
    Shall I add to this misery? I think that there is only 40 yrs max. of resources left (it's in my geog notes somewhere..).
    Sea Levels rising - in approx 25 years, huge areas of England will be underwater - London under threat too. (not to mention the possible disappearance of Bangladesh and other flat countries like Holland)
    I could go on...but it just depresses everyone!
    PS. I don't drink nor smoke, and its lucky for me that I hate junk food such as pizza's and crisps.

ReputationRep:
    don't mean to put yet another damper on things, but all this could be ended by someone pressing the wrong button at a nuclear factory. or some terrorist organisation could have found womd's, god forbid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    don't mean to put yet another damper on things, but all this could be ended by someone pressing the wrong button at a nuclear factory. or some terrorist organisation could have found womd's, god forbid
    The neclear thing is a total myth, it would take a hell of a lot to cause a neclear disaster. Chinyobl(sp) only happened because it was old, doidgy and in Russia. They were carring out an experiement and shut the safety system down as a result, thats how the disaster happened.

Again about fuel resources, fuel cells which run of water or other biowaste products will be quite cheap in 10 years time or so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    The neclear thing is a total myth, it would take a hell of a lot to cause a neclear disaster. Chinyobl(sp) only happened because it was old, doidgy and in Russia.
    Its in Ukraine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)
    Its in Ukraine
    Wasn't that apart of the solvient union (USSR) though in 1986?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Wasn't that apart of the solvient union (USSR) though in 1986?
    yep but so were Poland and Mongolia doesnt mean they're the same thing

ReputationRep:
    But if all your calls are necessary theres no need to worry.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Misbah Imtiaz)
    Shall I add to this misery? I think that there is only 40 yrs max. of resources left (it's in my geog notes somewhere..).
    Sea Levels rising - in approx 25 years, huge areas of England will be underwater - London under threat too. (not to mention the possible disappearance of Bangladesh and other flat countries like Holland)
    I could go on...but it just depresses everyone!
    PS. I don't drink nor smoke, and its lucky for me that I hate junk food such as pizza's and crisps.
    We've got a good 200 yrs worth of coal here in the UK, it's oil and gas that are running out.

ReputationRep:
    In the next twenty years, almost 2/3 of the population will be obese.
    How will our economy survive? Economically active people will turn uneconomically active and our dependency ratio will increase. Teleworking will become more common.
    NHS will have to pay billions.
    People will have to retire early - pensions will have to go - younger people will have to save earlier.

Sperm counts are reduced by almost 1/3 if you leave your phone on in your pocket long term - leads to infertility
    The reason that these stories don't make the tv news is because these companies pay to prevent them being broadcast - they will go bust otherwise.
    Look what people said about cigarettes - oh look they're harmless - now look whats happened.
    I am 17 and two 10 year old boys came up to me and asked me to buy cigarettes for them - yes 10 years old!!! - this is worrying.

Our finite resources (coal, oil and gas) are only finite and will run out in our lifetime.
    We will have to import from other countries and stock prices will inevitably fluctuate.

I am worried about all this and I don't have a mobile phone, I eat healthily, I don't drink and I don't smoke and I intend to start saving for my pension when I am 20. People will soon see what I'm talking about. People don't worry now because the effects haven't been seen/predicted - e.g. mobile phones are relatively new inventions so we won't see effects for at least another 20-30 years.
    Why dont we all just slash our wrists now?! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Radiation kills and mutates the cells, mainly destroying cell membranes.
    Try and protect your precious cell phones now, but in 20 years you won't defend them. They'll just be thrown away and they'll add to our ever growing rubbish tip, which leads me onto my next discussion, where will we store all our rubbish? and don't say underground, we've all seen that Simpson's episode haven't we? I think in space or in deserts.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Radiation kills and mutates the cells, mainly destroying cell membranes.
    Try and protect your precious cell phones now, but in 20 years you won't defend them. They'll just be thrown away and they'll add to our ever growing rubbish tip, which leads me onto my next discussion, where will we store all our rubbish? and don't say underground, we've all seen that Simpson's episode haven't we? I think in space or in deserts.
    Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

What waste we do produce (if everyone (including manufacturers) put in the effort to take the above 3 steps before chucking something out) would be in small enough quantities that landfill would be perfectly manageable.

Give it 20 yrs or so and companies will be mining old landfil sites for materials that are becoming scarcer.

ReputationRep:
    That's bull! You think the BBC is bribed by mobile phone companies when its purpose is to stay away from commercial interests? Show us some proof! We at least need a source.

ReputationRep:
    At least I know in the next twenty years I won't be obese. I wonder about cloned babies...And that Raelian Group.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt we'll be using internal combustion engines in major usage for much longer. In as little as 20 years time quite a few cars could feasibly be running on gas, fuel cells, electricity or another source. Until then hybrid cars are coming out which will eventually reduce demands on oil. Honda recently have been selling a half electricity half petrol car. The petrol engine charges the batteries so when cruising on motorways as an example the petrol engine isn't being used.

With regards to power once we work out how to economically sustain Fusion lots of new opportunities will become available to us and it's also quite environmentally friendly. Even if the reaction became out of control there'd be no lasting damage as there would be no radioactive fallout.

ReputationRep:
    Lies.

Mobile phones emit so little radiation that they can't even heat up the surface of the skin 1 degree. To cause any type of genetic mutation, the radiation needs to be pretty strong. DNA is a very stable molecule. There is no scientific proof (from independant companies with no corporate connections) that mobile phones damage you. This isn't a cover-up, because there is nothing to cover up. Unlike cigarettes, people published research saying that they were damaging, only to have it ridiculed by manufacturers.

On the resources front, the best option is nuclear power. Seriously. Even some environmentalists are starting to agree. It's safe (it better be, costing £10 billion per plant), it's a hell of a lot cleaner than fossil fuels, it's cheap to run (you can run a nuclear power plant with 3 people and the fuel doesn't need replacing very often) and it doesn't make you glow.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.