Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to be a PROFESSOR of CHEMISTRY? Watch

Announcements

I want to be a professor in chemistry. I can't be doing BTECs if I want to be a professor, right? So A levels are essential for me so it is my only option it seems to get a top chemistry degree. Having 3 GCSE grades I may need to resit if I'm not allowed to do A levels at a college otherwise I can do them privately. Is there an alternative route for me or do you want to advise me other than discourage me from taking the A level route. Thanks.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    x
    • TSR Community Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kryptonian)
    I want to be a professor in chemistry. I can't be doing BTECs if I want to be a professor, right? So A levels are essential for me so it is my only option it seems to get a top chemistry degree. Having 3 GCSE grades I may need to resit if I'm not allowed to do A levels at a college otherwise I can do them privately. Is there an alternative route for me or do you want to advise me other than discourage me from taking the A level route. Thanks.
    Hiya,
    I've just moved your thread into the Chemistry Forum for you where you should get a response
    Jack
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Becoming a prof is a long way off! You can get into uni having done either a btec or A levels. Check the entry requirements of unis you're interested in and go from there.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Not to sound harsh, but I would get through the stages of getting your A Levels and degree first

However, this may be of some use to you http://www.jobs.ac.uk/careers-advice...ome-a-lecturer

ReputationRep:
    I think you should focus on getting your A-Levels and GCSE's in order first before you start worrying about higher level university education. Chemistry is significantly harder than A-level at university, even at ex-polytechnics.

ReputationRep:
    Mate you don't even know if you like chemistry yet.

Even if you do end up still wanting to be a professor you're at least 10 years away from having a PhD, and a hell of a lot longer away from being a professor.

Why do you only have 3 GCSEs?

(Original post by Slowbro93)
    Not to sound harsh, but I would get through the stages of getting your A Levels and degree first

However, this may be of some use to you http://www.jobs.ac.uk/careers-advice...ome-a-lecturer
    Thank you so should I spend a year sorting my GCSE Grades out first

ReputationRep:
    I think this thought is quite irrational and will disappear in a short time but if you're up for it, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coconut64)
    I think this thought is quite irrational and will disappear in a short time but if you're up for it, good luck!
    I agree! I think you will need a lot of high grade GCSE's and fantastic A level results just to get into a good uni to do a degree in Chemistry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.