Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi SFE,
    I am unclear about my eligibility for Student Finance. Whilst a UK national, born in the UK with a bank account etc etc, my parents work for the United Nations and have been posted abroad in recent years. I have always traveled with them. We have no home anywhere except the UK (temporary addresses overseas), my parents pay tax in the UK and they tell me the posting overseas for the UN is seen as involuntary posting with no effect on residence. I have been accepted by my new University as a UK student. In this situation, should I apply for Finance using our UK home address where our bank accounts, doctors, etc are, or should I apply using the temporary overseas addresses? Will I be eligible for student finance? The application form asks where we Normally Live, and I am unclear what the correct answer is to that question.
    Thanks.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Bojo2)
    Hi SFE,
    I am unclear about my eligibility for Student Finance. Whilst a UK national, born in the UK with a bank account etc etc, my parents work for the United Nations and have been posted abroad in recent years. I have always traveled with them. We have no home anywhere except the UK (temporary addresses overseas), my parents pay tax in the UK and they tell me the posting overseas for the UN is seen as involuntary posting with no effect on residence. I have been accepted by my new University as a UK student. In this situation, should I apply for Finance using our UK home address where our bank accounts, doctors, etc are, or should I apply using the temporary overseas addresses? Will I be eligible for student finance? The application form asks where we Normally Live, and I am unclear what the correct answer is to that question.
    Thanks.
    You are ordinarily resident in the UK. Use the UK address if you'll be able to get post sent there through to you securely - if not use your overseas address.

You might be ask to prove that your residence outside the UK has been temporary but it sounds like your parents are prepared for that and you should have no problem demonstrating that you're a UK resident temporarily based abroad.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you PQ. This is as the British Embassy in Nairobi explained it to me, but I could find no information in the SFE literature about such situations, or about the kind of evidence that is needed.

As I will be in the UK at University when the application is made whilst my parents will remain in Kenya, I wished to be as certain as I could that I took with me all documentation that might be needed. Can you give any guidance as to the sort of documentation that may be asked to demonstrate temporary posting abroad?

Thank you in advance.

(Original post by PQ)
    You are ordinarily resident in the UK. Use the UK address if you'll be able to get post sent there through to you securely - if not use your overseas address.

You might be ask to prove that your residence outside the UK has been temporary but it sounds like your parents are prepared for that and you should have no problem demonstrating that you're a UK resident temporarily based abroad.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.