Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm just drifting through a pointless life! watch

In social circles I feel like a ghost, I could throw away my phone and deactivate all my accounts and it would probably go unnoticed. I get blanked in group conversations more often than not, and no longer do I talk to people. It's a recent thing, 2 years back I was more popular than a new years eve! And yet now, here I am stuck posting this.

I've come to accept that bit, maybe its just what fate has in store for me. I dont mind ghosting around, I can deal with it. But just a short time ago another much more serious realisation hit me. I'm going to university, a GOOD university, to study a GOOD degree, but one which I have no true interest in. Other people who study it read up articles published about it in their spare time, they keep up to date with the world, they look forward to studying it. And yet here I am, only studying it because I am good at it. I have zero passion for it.

What's even worse is that I have found no passion. I've played sports, learned instruments, tried writing, speaking, gaming, reading around hundreds of areas of work. But nothing. absolutely none of them caught my attention, none of them have my interest. I just do it because others are doing it, with a blank uninterested mind putting fake faces on to hide my boredom, pretending that I enjoy it.

The only sweet release from my abysmally meaningless life is the short couple of hours in the morning when I can go to the gym and lift weights. then I get home and bam once again I have to face reality. I feel like a shadow, forced to follow the footsteps of a random individual, waiting until the light inevitably extinguishes me.

I've tried everything to find my niche, find something I love doing but nope, absolutely nothing.

Thank you for reading this far, I would appreciate any advice you have to offer, even if it is just a way to shut up and deal with life it would be much appreciated
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    In social circles I feel like a ghost, I could throw away my phone and deactivate all my accounts and it would probably go unnoticed. I get blanked in group conversations more often than not, and no longer do I talk to people. It's a recent thing, 2 years back I was more popular than a new years eve! And yet now, here I am stuck posting this.

I've come to accept that bit, maybe its just what fate has in store for me. I dont mind ghosting around, I can deal with it. But just a short time ago another much more serious realisation hit me. I'm going to university, a GOOD university, to study a GOOD degree, but one which I have no true interest in. Other people who study it read up articles published about it in their spare time, they keep up to date with the world, they look forward to studying it. And yet here I am, only studying it because I am good at it. I have zero passion for it.

What's even worse is that I have found no passion. I've played sports, learned instruments, tried writing, speaking, gaming, reading around hundreds of areas of work. But nothing. absolutely none of them caught my attention, none of them have my interest. I just do it because others are doing it, with a blank uninterested mind putting fake faces on to hide my boredom, pretending that I enjoy it.

The only sweet release from my abysmally meaningless life is the short couple of hours in the morning when I can go to the gym and lift weights. then I get home and bam once again I have to face reality. I feel like a shadow, forced to follow the footsteps of a random individual, waiting until the light inevitably extinguishes me.

I've tried everything to find my niche, find something I love doing but nope, absolutely nothing.

Thank you for reading this far, I would appreciate any advice you have to offer, even if it is just a way to shut up and deal with life it would be much appreciated
    You have a second shot, kind of, in that you get to meet a much larger pool of people. I'm not going to sell you a dream and say that you'll magially find 'besties for life' as one might put it, but hopefully you can put in the effort and maybe find some people.

A shame you've tried lots of things and found nothing that interests you.. not sure what to say there. Maybe you need something that you can do with friends? (I guess sports with strangers doesn't quite count)

And yeah, it's not great if you have no true interest in what you're going to study, I suppose you've looked into the different kinds of degrees.. and found that your good degree at a good uni is kind of the only option.. I kind of empathise, my subject is the only thing I'd be capable of doing at uni and even then, not every part of it is interesting, and that's honestly an important factor in doing well. Maybe you can grow to enjoy it.. or maybe not, and in that case you have to remind yourself of what your end goal is, do as well as you can and kind of slog on. Not ideal but it doesn't seem like there arem any alternatives.

I see you're in a tough spot at the moment but hopefully you find a way to make things fall into place.

(Original post by SeanFM)
    You have a second shot, kind of, in that you get to meet a much larger pool of people. I'm not going to sell you a dream and say that you'll magially find 'besties for life' as one might put it, but hopefully you can put in the effort and maybe find some people.

A shame you've tried lots of things and found nothing that interests you.. not sure what to say there. Maybe you need something that you can do with friends? (I guess sports with strangers doesn't quite count)

And yeah, it's not great if you have no true interest in what you're going to study, I suppose you've looked into the different kinds of degrees.. and found that your good degree at a good uni is kind of the only option.. I kind of empathise, my subject is the only thing I'd be capable of doing at uni and even then, not every part of it is interesting, and that's honestly an important factor in doing well. Maybe you can grow to enjoy it.. or maybe not, and in that case you have to remind yourself of what your end goal is, do as well as you can and kind of slog on. Not ideal but it doesn't seem like there arem any alternatives.

I see you're in a tough spot at the moment but hopefully you find a way to make things fall into place.
    Thank you!
    and yep, the only reason I picked my degree is because its one of the only ones I can do. I have my future career all planned out, it's not what I love but at the same time I dont hate it so I could live with it. Just replacing a boring school life with a boring work life I suppose. Playing sports ~ played with both friends and strangers, even martial arts, but no luck. Though I must say, trying it out was great fun, and I usually am able to hold an interest for (at most) a year before I find it boring again. Maybe I'm just not built for a stable life and settling down like most people are?

ReputationRep:
    Regarding the friends thing, sometimes we just become friends with people because of circumstantial reasons cos you go to the same school, doesn't mean you'll be best friends for life. I was similar to you when I was in 6th form, but in the end I just decided to embrace it and focus on my work rather than friends to get the future I wanted. I don't know if that was the best way to do it, but it worked for me, but you're going to uni now anyway.
    You may find the passion you never knew you had and find friends that are completely awesome people just because you're trying so many new things at uni and doing so much, but it's not guaranteed. Just go into uni with an open mind and not exceedingly high expectations and you should be fine.
    Not everyone has passions which are there life, imo it's okay to want change and to change your hobbies, I went through 3 musical instruments over 4 years and still didn't like one, same with sports (hate sports!!!). Have you tried volunteering with some sort of charity? If you're a bit of a night owl, you could sign up to volunteer with night line at uni, or join other volunteering societies eg ones for children or the elderly, just to get another view point in life and an experience.
    Imo, life is all about doing things however shortly for, just to get an experience, and an idea of it. Next summer you can travel for a couple of weeks as well maybe?
    Life can become really monotonous and it's not fun, but try to find the joy in some small part of your life to make it worthwhile

(Original post by Pinkberry_y)
    Regarding the friends thing, sometimes we just become friends with people because of circumstantial reasons cos you go to the same school, doesn't mean you'll be best friends for life. I was similar to you when I was in 6th form, but in the end I just decided to embrace it and focus on my work rather than friends to get the future I wanted. I don't know if that was the best way to do it, but it worked for me, but you're going to uni now anyway.
    You may find the passion you never knew you had and find friends that are completely awesome people just because you're trying so many new things at uni and doing so much, but it's not guaranteed. Just go into uni with an open mind and not exceedingly high expectations and you should be fine.
    Not everyone has passions which are there life, imo it's okay to want change and to change your hobbies, I went through 3 musical instruments over 4 years and still didn't like one, same with sports (hate sports!!!). Have you tried volunteering with some sort of charity? If you're a bit of a night owl, you could sign up to volunteer with night line at uni, or join other volunteering societies eg ones for children or the elderly, just to get another view point in life and an experience.
    Imo, life is all about doing things however shortly for, just to get an experience, and an idea of it. Next summer you can travel for a couple of weeks as well maybe?
    Life can become really monotonous and it's not fun, but try to find the joy in some small part of your life to make it worthwhile
    Thanks!

I've tried volunteering as well, even raising money for charity, I've got a trip with a friend next year sorted out and just getting the money for it now, and hopefully I'll take a short trip to france during december.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 31, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.