Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much money do you have to live off in University? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I was wondering how much after accommodation per week or month you have to spend on things like food/clothes/toiletries/transport /ect and what you end up spending on these. I was also wondering what degree of "comfort" the money you have left can provide.

Any current/future/graduate input on this?

Sorry if it seems a really weird question but I'm really curious/worried about spending when going to uni this year. Any advice anyone can offer would be fantastic

Thanks ^.^
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Fi101)
    Hey!

I was wondering how much after accommodation per week or month you have to spend on things like food/clothes/toiletries/transport /ect and what you end up spending on these. I was also wondering what degree of "comfort" the money you have left can provide.

Sorry if it seems a really weird question but I'm really curious/worried about spending when going to uni this year. Any advice anyone can offer would be fantastic

Thanks ^.^
    I had about £80 a week left after rent, and spent less than £60 some weeks. I didnt drink much at all, but had plenty left to buy any clothes i wanted and for reasonably regular trips to the cinema.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fi101)
    Hey!

Thanks ^.^
    It depends on the city . What uni are you talking about ?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Fi101)
    Hey!

Thanks ^.^
    For me, since my mom is currently doing a PhD (so low income), I have ~£115-125 a week after accommodation. But I imagine most others will be lower.

Making calculations, and sticking to a budget, I'd probably have money saved after the end of the year.

I would say £50-80 a week is pretty good to stick to as a student outside of london.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have at the moment over £2,200. I spent £265 on my bus train and metro pass a over a week ago, still stings! It's valid until 31st Devember. I'll have to fork out another £265 in December for my second term pass, which will be valid until 7th April so 4 months (bus, train and metro).

So end of second year I'll have roughly, £5,057. I also work part time and don't have to pay my parents rent or anything etc. (They're amazing, lol). I'm hoping to have, £10,771 when I graduate.

I do help out my parents in terms of cooking, cleaning, laundry and babysitting my brother for free. So it works out beneficial for them aswell. I buy my own clothes, make up and travelling cost etc to name a few

EDIT: Just properly read your post, you're asking for advice on accommodation. Sorry, can probably tell I'm tired 😜😴💤

ReputationRep:
    I had about £100-120 a week average? I spent quite a lot in first year, maybe £70-100 a week as I really went out a lot, ate whatever I wanted, got new clothes etc - in my second year I lived on £60 a week (with a separate budget for things like christmas presents, train home etc) and just drank a bit less and it was still pretty comfortable... in my final year I didn't budget as carefully as I worked too so had as much money as I wanted, I probably spent between 60 and 80 depending on the week

ReputationRep:
    I had around £50 to spend a week excluding bills and I managed quite easily and sometimes didn't spend all of it.
    I would spend in average just under £20 on food for the week and then the rest could be spent on whatever else I wanted.

ReputationRep:
    I've worked out that I'll probably have about £90 per week. I'm in catered accommodation so only a bit of that will have to go on food for the weekend.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.