Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ok so i'm going on wednesday night- and i can't cut any of my luggage down! i'm only allowed 20 kilos luggage and 5 kilos hand lugagge- for some reason my hand luggage is coming up at like 6 kilos!! i haven't put loads in it either! it's these stupid resources that i need to take with me- sugar paper, pens pencils etc. i've tried to cut down as much as possible, but i dunno what else to do!

i have managed the 20 kilo thing before, when going away for 4 weeks to visit family...i'm only taking a week's worth of clothes, flip flops, basic medicines, and of course these damned resources...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    ok so i'm going on wednesday night- and i can't cut any of my luggage down! i'm only allowed 20 kilos luggage and 5 kilos hand lugagge- for some reason my hand luggage is coming up at like 6 kilos!! i haven't put loads in it either! it's these stupid resources that i need to take with me- sugar paper, pens pencils etc. i've tried to cut down as much as possible, but i dunno what else to do!

i have managed the 20 kilo thing before, when going away for 4 weeks to visit family...i'm only taking a week's worth of clothes, flip flops, basic medicines, and of course these damned resources...
    Well whenever we go on holiday, my parents always go over the 20Kg threshold by about 5kg, on each suitcase, and when we are coming back each suitcase is about 30kg and the hand luggage is 10kg. lol. Though I think the only reason they let us off is because we fly on the jumbo's. I think you'd get away with 6kg.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Well whenever we go on holiday, my parents always go over the 20Kg threshold by about 5kg, on each suitcase, and when we are coming back each suitcase is about 30kg and the hand luggage is 10kg. lol. Though I think the only reason they let us off is because we fly on the jumbo's. I think you'd get away with 6kg.

hmm i dunno. when my grandma went back home after staying with us for a bit, they were really strict on her allowance- she had to empty loads out of her hand baggage
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    buy some duty free and put some of the stuff in the duty free carrier bag - you'd be surprised how they overlook the weight of bottles etc when it's been bought from the airport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    hmm i dunno. when my grandma went back home after staying with us for a bit, they were really strict on her allowance- she had to empty loads out of her hand baggage
    Surely not for an extra 1kg? It doesn't makes sense, let's say your hand luggage was exactly 5kg, what about duty free? Where would you put it? For only 1kg I'm sure they'd make an exception. It's only the crazy people like mine, that would be told to empty their luggage.

That actually happened once, we were going to another country for a year, and my dad wanted to bring my baby sisters cot overseas, and they wouldn't allow it, we were told it would cost an additional £300 to send, which was ridiculous, considering we spent over £4000 on our airfair! Oh well, luckily one of our family friends came by and picked it up.

ReputationRep:
    the hand luggage may be more thoguh- i hadn't packed it properly- missed out things like a spare towel (the other one is goin in the big suitcase) discman, book etc. meh. they just might have to do without sugar paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    the hand luggage may be more thoguh- i hadn't packed it properly- missed out things like a spare towel (the other one is goin in the big suitcase) discman, book etc. meh. they just might have to do without sugar paper.
    they never really have a prob with hand luggage, if u sorta wear it on ur back and then say oh yeh, just the 1 piece its usually all good!

ReputationRep:
    Some airlines don't care, some do. I have always had over the hand luggage allowance and have never had a problem on: BA, Iberia, Alitalia, TP Air Portuagal, Olympic (Greek Airlines).
    20kg is a bit harsh - the standard used to be 23/25 kg in economy and a bit more (40?) in business.
    The excess baggage charge is high - related to the propotion of the full first class fare - can't remember the exact details.
    If you are nice to the check-in agent they might let it pass.
    Never had the hand luggae weighed either, or even dimension checked.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.