Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am applying for a postgraduate loan, and I am wondering if they do any sort of credit check? Is it possible to be denied a loan based on bad credit rating?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OxfordhereIcome)
    I am applying for a postgraduate loan, and I am wondering if they do any sort of credit check? Is it possible to be denied a loan based on bad credit rating?
    No. Like undergrad Student Finance, it is not credit checked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    No. Like undergrad Student Finance, it is not credit checked.
    Thank you very much for your help.

ReputationRep:
    But - if you already have debts, or a history of defaulting on loans etc, then think very carefully if you can actually manage the payments on £9,000.

ReputationRep:
    So glad you asked this, and got such a quick response.

My credit rating is totally trashed thanks to my disability flaring up a few years back, and my anxiety has been niggling on this thought in the background.

The poster above is quite right that any large loan needs careful consideration, however I'd add the following thoughts to the mix:

1. Is your future qualification worth the extra debt?
    2. After gaining the qualification, will this improve your job/income, and
    3. On achieving the pay that the student loan.co have as the minimum for starting repayments, will this put you in the financial position to comftably repay ypur debts?

Dont let your current financial circumstances hold you back from improving your chances of gaining better employment longterm.

Also, there's a lot of avenues available to help you better manage your debt.

A good website to start at is stepchange.org

Hope this helps
    Sue

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.