Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Regarding to work experience, how much has everyone done in terms of working in a law related field? And also, how much do you think is advantageous for good university or career prospects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlamingDeath)
    Regarding to work experience, how much has everyone done in terms of working in a law related field? And also, how much do you think is advantageous for good university or career prospects?
    None whatsoever. lol. Though I got an offer from Sheffield for AAB. I think that some law related work experience would go a long way with securing a place at the top universities. Try volounteering at you local magistrates, or shadowing a barrister, something that you can put on your PS. Where are you planning on applying, university wise?

ReputationRep:
    For Law, I'd advise doing some Work Experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    None whatsoever. lol. Though I got an offer from Sheffield for AAB. I think that some law related work experience would go a long way with securing a place at the top universities. Try volounteering at you local magistrates, or shadowing a barrister, something that you can put on your PS. Where are you planning on applying, university wise?
    I've shadowed a barrister for a month now, thinking whether I should go and try working in a solicitor firm, but I'm sure they would prefer undergraduate students instead.

About University choices...do you have any suggestions? Since I'm from overseas, I'm mostly relying on the university prospectus and people's opinions here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlamingDeath)
    I've shadowed a barrister for a month now, thinking whether I should go and try working in a solicitor firm, but I'm sure they would prefer undergraduate students instead.

About University choices...do you have any suggestions? Since I'm from overseas, I'm mostly relying on the university prospectus and people's opinions here.
    What are your grades? IB or A-level? Are you planning on practicing law, or branching out into another sector? If you are planning on practicing law, here in the UK or abroad?

ReputationRep:
    Its not so much for university, its for the job afterwards. Because if you're a graduate from Durham, Oxford, Cambridge, Bristol etc. there is nothing to differentiate you from other high achievers - anyone with work experience would find it beneficial then.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the above. I wouldn't imagine that work experience is anything more than marginally beneficial for university apps, but it is almost a pre-requisite for TC applications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marky_B)
    Its not so much for university, its for the job afterwards.
    Very, very true! Especially for Oxbridge, your work experience experience will be a relatively minor consideration. It might be evidence that you have a genuine interest in law, but equally you could show that by sitting in court yourself (or speaking to your local Mag's Court and seeing if they'll let you spend a day in court and speak to the mags afterwards) or reading a bit about important cases and thinking about what sort of problems they give rise to. Since you'll get an interview, you can prove you have a genuine interest in law by being enthusiastic in interview, rather than having to prove on paper that you've done something to inform yourself about what law is all about.

I'd never done any work experience when I got my Cambridge offer. Once you get to University, there's all too much of it (and the stress of getting hold of it!) so don't worry about it if you can't get any now. Just do something to prove to yourself that you are actually interested in the study of law (and not just influenced by Ally McBeal / Judge John Deed, etc.) which you can talk about at interview / mention (in passing) in your personal statement. I honestly believe that just reading a little bit, thinking about important cases at the moment [for instance, do you think it is right that the Court of Appeal have ordered a re-trial in the Billie Jo case? Can it ever be a fair trial? How would you design the system of criminal case review?] and sitting in court shows more interest in studying law than following a barrister for a week (at your stage).

ReputationRep:
    Work experience whilst at university may also help you out when applying for the BVC though. With so few places and much more applicants, institutions who run this course I feel should look carefully other than their qualifications. The ones who are really interested in it are the ones who are more likely going to remain with law, rather than use the BVC for transferring skills elsewhere in the employment field.

Any thoughts?

I've asked my college lecturer about work experience whilst at university and suggested that the summer holidays will be the best time for this.

ReputationRep:
    You could also read Alfred's book, "The Discipline of Law".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Work experience whilst at university may also help you out when applying for the BVC though. With so few places and much more applicants, institutions who run this course I feel should look carefully other than their qualifications.
    Hell, getting onto the BVC is easy compared to getting a pupillage! You've got to remember that the BVC providers are not actually filling their entire quotas of students (because they think some students fall so far below the required standard that they turn them away even though there are technically places available).

One of the principal problems with the BVC is that the BVC isn't particularly transferable - it isn't really recognised as a qualification by anyone other than the Bar (hence the current discussions about making it a masters level degree, so people who don't find a pupillage can at least have something useful to show for their year).

I very much doubt the BVC providers care much what you are going to do with the BVC, but merely want to fill as many places as possible with those of a sufficient academic standard. Having done some work experience does however show an interest in the work that you'll be studying for the next year, however, so I wouldn't deny that it is important to have done mini-pupillages before applying for the BVC.

On the other hand, mini-pupillages (work experience) are far more valuable when you come to pupillage (exceptionally competitive) to show (i) an interest in a particular area of law, (ii) a knowlege of what that area of law involves, (iii) a knowledge of what being a barrister involves and (iv) committment to the Bar. There is also an increasing trend, especially amongst the leading sets, for 'assessed mini-pupillages' which form part of the application process.

I've asked my college lecturer about work experience whilst at university and suggested that the summer holidays will be the best time for this.
    Once you get to University (especially at Oxbridge, Nottingham), you will find out about work experience - believe me! There are relatively few opportunities in the first year (and I'd honestly advise you to enjoy the summer vacation of the first year and not do work experience as you won't get a free summer again and there's no need to do work experience in the first year). From the start of the second year, solicitors will be, for the want of a better phrase (and to allow me to make an awful pun), soliciting you a great deal. There will be numerous presentations, drinks sessions, free gifts in order to entice you to very well organised vacation placements (two/three week long work experience, generally paid). You'll need to be applying on your own initiative for mini-pupillages, since most take place in the vacation of the second year (the exceptions being certain assess mini-pupillages that form part of the OLPAS application where you cannot apply until the third year).

Vacation placements seem to take place mainly in the summer, although there are some that run in Easter (of the second year). Mini-pupillages are not as fixed as vacation placements, and take place throughout the year (but not usually mid-summer because of the court vacations, during which most barristers take their holidays due to a total lack of work!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcw)
    From the start of the second year, solicitors will be, for the want of a better phrase (and to allow me to make an awful pun), soliciting you a great deal. There will be numerous presentations, drinks sessions, free gifts in order to entice you to very well organised vacation placements (two/three week long work experience, generally paid).
    Will these be leading City law firms?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    Will these be leading City law firms?
    Yes; well, for the drinks anyway (you can get free gifts from many firms - there was even a review of the free gifts being given away in one of the student law mags this year!). Regardless, recruitment is pretty strong even by non-City firms in the big law Universities. I know the Law Events at the top 10 Universities at least are very well attended by solicitors (the same not being true at all of Chambers).

What point are you making? I'm simply trying to say that, once you get to University, you'd have to walk around in the second year with your eyes closed and ears sealed to avoid hearing about work experience opportunities.

ReputationRep:
    I've done 2 work placements so far, and I'm not going to do anymore untill I actually start studying Law at uni. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcw)
    What point are you making? I'm simply trying to say that, once you get to University, you'd have to walk around in the second year with your eyes closed and ears sealed to avoid hearing about work experience opportunities.
    Fair enough. I just wanted to know what kind of law firms you were talking about.

On a separate point, I'm pretty sure about 5/6 of my UCAS choices for law (applying this September). I'm quite uncertain about my final pick of the six though. Where would you choose out of Manchester, Leeds and Sheffield, if you had to choose one? Are they all much of a muchness?

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. I just wanted to know what kind of law firms you were talking about.

On a separate point, I'm pretty sure about 5/6 of my UCAS choices for law (applying this September). I'm quite uncertain about my final pick of the six though. Where would you choose out of Manchester, Leeds and Sheffield, if you had to choose one? Are they all much of a muchness?
    I applied to Manchester, Leeds and Sheffield.
    Manchester - I didn't get in. It's v.good
    Leeds - (I'm going to in Sept) It's alright - :rolleyes:
    Sheffield - on the same par as Leeds I would say - though they only ask for AAB whereas Leeds want AAA (primarily due to it's popularity amongst students)

In conclusion - Manchester would be the better one I would say

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misbah Imtiaz)
    I applied to Manchester, Leeds and Sheffield.
    Manchester - I didn't get in. It's v.good
    Leeds - (I'm going to in Sept) It's alright - :rolleyes:
    Sheffield - on the same par as Leeds I would say - though they only ask for AAB whereas Leeds want AAA (primarily due to it's popularity amongst students)

In conclusion - Manchester would be the better one I would say
    I went to Leeds to have a look around on the Thursday before last, and I was v. impressed by it. It also has cyberlaw as an undergrad option choice - which interests me.

My only problem is that of the 5 choices I'm set on, only Kings and Nottingham are likely to offer AAB - the rest will be for AAA. I don't know whether it's wise to put Leeds down as it wants AAA! I'm quite confident that I can get the grades, but I would like an insurance just in case.

Would you say Manchester is more prestigious than Leeds/Sheffield?

ReputationRep:
    I went to Leeds to have a look around on the Thursday before last, and I was v. impressed by it. It also has cyberlaw as an undergrad option choice - which interests me.

My only problem is that of the 5 choices I'm set on, only Kings and Nottingham are likely to offer AAB - the rest will be for AAA. I don't know whether it's wise to put Leeds down as it wants AAA! I'm quite confident that I can get the grades, but I would like an insurance just in case.

Would you say Manchester is more prestigious than Leeds/Sheffield?
    Simple answer - yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misbah Imtiaz)
    Simple answer - yes
    I hope things come off and you get into Leeds, it looks like a really cool place! For me, if I got into to Leeds I'd be guaranteed to see loads of people that I know, because several of my friends want to go there (or are already there).

When did they make you an offer?

ReputationRep:
    I hope things come off and you get into Leeds, it looks like a really cool place! For me, if I got into to Leeds I'd be guaranteed to see loads of people that I know, because several of my friends want to go there (or are already there).

When did they make you an offer?
    I got my offer in October. My first offer was from Newcastle - in Sept!
    I hope I get in because literally the majority of my college is going there! I have not gone to see Leeds yet though, so I don't have a clue of what its like! I know...so damn lazy of me! :rolleyes:

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 23, 2004

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.