Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    And your parent is a highly paid professional

And all that money was spent on you from the moment you were born until now

Are you still considered middle class? Or higher?

Since the proportion of money spent on you is far higher than most typical middle class families would be able to spend

ReputationRep:
    You'd be the same class as your parents, that's not how it works

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candymonster)

Since the proportion of money spent on you is far higher than most typical middle class families would be able to spend
    Class is more complex than money, and much more complex than money spent on you, though there is a relationship.

When you're talking "upper class" vs "middle class", you aren't talking professional pay grades - you're talking about huge inheritances.

The upper class is something that used to be the "aristocracy". Rather than just cash, things like networks/favoures owed and political power become what you need to be a part of it.

But money is also important, but we're talking substantial wealth - not "my parents could afford to spend twice as much as someone else's on my schooling." money, but "My daddy bought me a yacht for my birthday last year" money. Company execs making millions, or those with less (likely old) money but still a lot of political clout simply from their bloodlines.

A highly paid professional is still solid middle class territory, even at the higher levels of pay.

That said, is the upper class eroding? Certainly the "aristocracy" type. It's evolving into a more corporate upper class, CEOs and the politicians that take their money. Less about heritage/bloodlines but it still boils down to influence.

Having less kids and thus being able to send them to a slightly better private school doesn't get you the influence - though it certainly helps you grow it as the other kids in that private school may provide the networking the kid needs to become more upper class later.

Note, this is mostly opinion.

ReputationRep:

Money does not equal class. If someone really chavvy started earning millions they would not be upper class.

ReputationRep:

I don't think so, the amount of money earned overall determines your class status, although I'm not going to deny being an only child of a teacher I probably had far more experiences, presents and tuition as a child and teenager than someone with siblings at my secondary school

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.