Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chicken Korma recipe that is as good as a takeaway Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone! I could happily live off chicken korma but as of next week I am a student again and therefor cannot afford to regularly have Indian takeaways. Does anyone have a recipe for a creamy korma that I could make?*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KMLeeson)
    Hello everyone! I could happily live off chicken korma but as of next week I am a student again and therefor cannot afford to regularly have Indian takeaways. Does anyone have a recipe for a creamy korma that I could make?*
    Check YouTube

ReputationRep:
    If you're doing this from scratch (no jars) then I suggest you cook it in bulk. The spices are going to cost a fair bit but it is worth it if you cook regularly.

ReputationRep:
    Crikey! If takewaway Chicken Korma is the benchmark I wouldn't bother. Homemade curry will never taste like takeaway. My recipe for Korma is as follows:

Chop up and then fry and onion gently until it starts to go soft.
    Add 3 or 4 desert spoons of Pataks Korma Paste and cook off for a minute or two
    Add a tin off coconut milk
    Once it has gone lovely and creamy, add chopped chicken breast and cook until chicken is no longer raw in the middle.
    Serve ideally with chapati or nan, but if you must - rice.

It doesn't taste like takeaway food though. That would be like asking someone to give the recipe to a McDonalds Hamburger. Yuk!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KMLeeson)
    I'd stay away from jarred pastes, especially the popular brands, they never taste that good. Having said that I have been impressed by the 'spice tailor' spice and sauce kits that are stocked in sainsburys and waitrose (possibly other shops too), considering I'm not normally a fan of pre-made pastes and sauces. They have a korma kit, I haven't tried that one but it may be worth a go for you.

Otherwise stick to recipes that require using the different spices and creating your own paste. Check the reviews under any recipes online, this will give you a good idea whether they're worth trying.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.