Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am planning on taking 4 AS Levels (maths, chemistry, biology and philosophy) and then dropping philosophy at A2 and carrying on with the rest. I have heard of people who do 4/5 A Levels in order to get into medicine, but I don't think I could cope along with everything else I do. I got 9a*s and 2as at gcse. Will 4AS and 3A Levels be enough grade wise?

ReputationRep:
    yeah that should be fine

ReputationRep:
    very rare for someone to do 5 a levels unless last one is native language

ReputationRep:
    yep that's fine

ReputationRep:
    We are doing the same a-levels (I'm doing RS Philosophy and Ethics not sure if this is the same) and I want to go into medicine too Even for oxbridge, more a-levels won't put you at an advantage and WOULD put you at a disadvantage if you didn't get the required grades so doing 3 or 4 is a good number. good luck

ReputationRep:
    4 AS Levels and 3 A2s are perfect, you don't need to do anymore. Medical schools only ever ask for 3 A2s so it's better to have more time to devote to the three subjects than spread yourself thinly trying to cover four subjects and risk missing your offer!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by robyn2000)
    I am planning on taking 4 AS Levels (maths, chemistry, biology and philosophy) and then dropping philosophy at A2 and carrying on with the rest. I have heard of people who do 4/5 A Levels in order to get into medicine, but I don't think I could cope along with everything else I do. I got 9a*s and 2as at gcse. Will 4AS and 3A Levels be enough grade wise?
    Hey there,

Great GCSE grades - well done!

You definitely DO NOT need to have 4 or 5 A levels to get into Medicine. Most med schools' offers are AAA or A*AA. Some even go so far as to make candidates an AAAA or A*AAA offer if they've got 4 A levels, which definitely adds extra pressure!

You'll be fine with three. If you'd like to check out the entrance requirements for every Med School, check out the following three resources:

Medical School Comparison Tool
    Linear A levels & Med School Admissions Policies
    Medical School A level resit policies

Hope you find the above useful - good luck with it all!

The Medic Portal

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.