Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What are your experiences of looking after and living with a cat?

ReputationRep:
    An endless cycle of you filling up their bowl with food and the cat crying for food even though their bOWL IS FULL OF FOOD!?!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    They are brilliant and all have characters. More self sufficient than a dog, so you might not have quite the same type of pack relationship.
    Very rewarding imo, good listeners and not that much fuss. You feed them and let them out or in as doorperson. Lots of stroking, play and dealing with the occasional dead mouse or bird. Stress reducing.

Quite clean really although cat hairs and you need to keep them free of fleas plus checks up with vet.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Having pet cats is amazing :love:

They get a bad rep for being nasty, unaffectionate, boring, lack personality etc but I've had cats all my life and tbh, they have shown just as much affection and personality as any of my dogs ever have, sometimes even more. A lot of the time they aren't as in your face as dogs are with the affection but they have subtle ways of showing it. Some cats will kneed on you, others might gentle nibble you, others lick you, some follow around the house etc. All my cats do this and they are far from the cold and evil persona a lot of people attach to cats.

Living with them is great. They aren't expensive to keep and insuring them is reasonable too. They don't require a lot of work and genrally they can be left alone longer than dogs can. I'd still never leave mine overnight though and I get my mum to watch them if I am ever staying overnight away from home. The only drawback I have about having cats is they love to wake you up early in the morning. Every morning they go through a crazy hour and they dive about the house at 100mph, knocking things over, jumping all over you, meowing and chirping loudly and generally just being annoying when you are trying to sleep but you get used to it and its one of those things you would miss if you lost it.
    • TSR Community Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by BlossomSerena)
    Brilliant, although their moods change. At the moment ours is going out and not coming in at night and then wakes us up with endless miaowing for attention at 4am when he finally comes back in. It's tiring, but luckily usually only lasts while it is very hot.

ReputationRep:
    they're cute..and they're independent so it's quite easy to look after them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlossomSerena)
    Cat litter ****ing everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsrsarahhhh)
    an endless cycle of you filling up their bowl with food and the cat crying for food even though their bowl is full of food!?!
    Oh my god trust me this is so goD DAMN ANNOYING

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsrsarahhhh)
    An endless cycle of you filling up their bowl with food and the cat crying for food even though their bOWL IS FULL OF FOOD!?!
    "But LOOK, there's food right there, I dished it out for you 10 minutes ago and you ate about a quarter of it!!

"Noooooooo, is been there for 10 minits, is no good!! FEED ME!!!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shuu00)
    Cat litter ****ing everywhere.
    Should have trained them to go to the toilet outside

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Should have trained them to go to the toilet outside
    My older ones never use the letterbox, but atm I have 6 kittens and god do they make a mess lol

ReputationRep:
    not as good as having a dog

ReputationRep:
    You don't have a cat as a pet. A cat has a human as a pet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RomeoSantos)
    not as good as having a dog
    I got both and I think the dog just edges it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shuu00)
    My older ones never use the letterbox, but atm I have 6 kittens and god do they make a mess lol
    Ahh, I see. Yeah when we got my cats as kittens we put the litter tray by the back door and put them in it if it looked like they were trying to do a wee or poo on the floor (or had just started to lol), then just outside the back door once they got used to it and then a bit further out once they got used to that before eventually taking it away. The first couple of weeks were messy indeed :lol:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.