Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I got rejected from dentistry this year and I will be starting biochemistry this september as a way to go into dentistry later on.
    I was wondering how realistic is it to go into dentistry after completing a degree?How competitive is it?
    Also, for anyone who does biochemistry how difficult is it to get a 2.1?
    I really want to do dentistry.
    And after graduating with the required degree and I dont get in the first try can I apply again the following years?

Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    Hi

If Dentistry is what you're focused on then that's what you gotta do! Yes it'll be competitive (more so than the 5 year course) but if you have the chance to do work experience over your time at uni it'll show your devotion and you'll be just as attractive as the other applicants.

Can't say how hard it is to get a 2:1 in biochem but as it's just an honours as apposed to a masters it's definitely achievable (but aim for a first).

I believe most universities allow that, some might not though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobbyl2)
    Hi

If Dentistry is what you're focused on then that's what you gotta do! Yes it'll be competitive (more so than the 5 year course) but if you have the chance to do work experience over your time at uni it'll show your devotion and you'll be just as attractive as the other applicants.

Can't say how hard it is to get a 2:1 in biochem but as it's just an honours as apposed to a masters it's definitely achievable (but aim for a first).

I believe most universities allow that, some might not though.
    thank you for your reply!
    do you think achieving a 2.1 in general is hard or just a lot of work?
    how likely is it that I get in? and do you mean that some unis dont allow applying again?

If i could ask for some advice, im currently stuck between 2 options, dentistry in europe or going into biochem and finishing off and applying in 3 years time to dentistry in england
    I dont know which to go for. and I feel dentistry in europe is risky as its quite expensive.

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.