Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much do I need to know to do a Law Conversion/apply for vac schemes watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently a History student at UCL on track for a 2,1/1st (hopefully!!)
    So I'm thinking of doing a law conversion to boost my credentials as I like the idea of working in a corporate, stable environment and the methodological side of law. I know a girl at my uni who had loads of law awareness and had a weeks placement at a solicitors. She was applying for her vac scheme last year and even she found it hard (now has an amazing placement).
    Just how much do I need to know and talk about to apply for a vacation scheme with the hope of a training contract afterwards? How do I find this info? Do I just read around the type of law I want to do/company? I find it so confusing how much I'm meant to know beforehand! When I was considering it before I went to uni I thought I could learn everything as a beginner but seems I can't by the quality of people's applications. I've never actually learned about law in my life and have very little knowledge but I'm willing to learn as I will probably take a year out after I graduate next year. Would really appreciate any advice from people who've done the GDL/taken a different degree to law and is pursuing law now and how much I need to know before applying.

ReputationRep:
    I recommend going to as many legal careers events this Autumn at UCL before applying. They will inform you on all the things you are asking about.

UCL is highly targeted by law firms so there will be plenty of opportunities. Definitely go to the 2 day law fair at UCL too.

Also think about applying to some non-law open days/workshops too. As you are based in London these will be a great opportunity for someone in your position and lots of firms run them in their London offices.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your helpful response.
    I will definitely look into the legal careers events. However, I attended the law fairs at UCL and I didn't gain as much as I thought. I spoke to law firms that I had researched before and they mostly gave me quite general answers to my questions while some did make me feel more at ease with the application process(however the info they gave me wasn't anything too specific). Perhaps I wasn't asking the right things as I don't know much yet! What type of non-law open days and workshops are you referring to? Could you give me an example? Do firms advertise them? Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to be able to answer three key questions:

1. Why do you want to be a lawyer?

Lawyers work alongside myriad other professionals on deals/cases, why do you want to do the legal aspect in particular and why do you think you suit that best?

2. Why do you want to work in City law?

Lots of lawyers working in smaller regional firms or family/private client/niche areas like professional discipline love their work but would be left cold by doing the conditions precedent on the refinancing of Schlong Investment Co (No.43) LLC's syndicated facility. You've got to show you want to do the sort of work lawyers at big firms do.

3. Why do you want to work at Massive Dolla & Monster PEP LLP rather than Beastin' and Billin' LLP?

Obviously the answer is probably, you don't give a toss, you've applied to both, but make sure you can explain a bit about the firm and what they think makes them stand out in the market. The best way to do this is read their marketing stuff on the grad rec website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samarmed)
    Thank you for your helpful response.
    I will definitely look into the legal careers events. However, I attended the law fairs at UCL and I didn't gain as much as I thought. I spoke to law firms that I had researched before and they mostly gave me quite general answers to my questions while some did make me feel more at ease with the application process(however the info they gave me wasn't anything too specific). Perhaps I wasn't asking the right things as I don't know much yet! What type of non-law open days and workshops are you referring to? Could you give me an example? Do firms advertise them? Thanks again!
    The law fairs are much more of recruitment on mass - lots of firms, hundreds of students all trying to ask/answer the same questions time and time again.

That's where the firm specific careers events and open days/workshops are a good idea. They generally give you a more depth insight.

Have a look at lawcareers.net - on there they have a diary with all the events listed and whether you apply to them or whether they are open events.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 31, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.