Am i screwed in a-level english lit? Watch

colemanator
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
i'm with the exam board aqa, i recently got a letter from them saying my last unit (unit 6) was illegible and would thus replace this mark from the average grade of my 4th and 5th units. I am predicted an A, which i got at as-level, and my teachers marked my unit 5 coursework as 17/20 or 77/90, meaning i need to do well in my fourth unit (also out of 90) to get a good score in terms of my average grade which would be rounded up in the context of my 120 marker unit and thus get my predicted A, consequently i ask the question, even though being undesirable am i that screwed or is it in my head?

cheers ben
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by colemanator)
i'm with the exam board aqa, i recently got a letter from them saying my last unit (unit 6) was illegible and would thus replace this mark from the average grade of my 4th and 5th units. I am predicted an A, which i got at as-level, and my teachers marked my unit 5 coursework as 17/20 or 77/90, meaning i need to do well in my fourth unit (also out of 90) to get a good score in terms of my average grade which would be rounded up in the context of my 120 marker unit and thus get my predicted A, consequently i ask the question, even though being undesirable am i that screwed or is it in my head?

cheers ben
Are you sure they didn't mean 'unintelligible'?
Karvel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Haha I'm either hoping for either that, someone sets fire to the delivery van, or the scripts get sent to the wrong house and put in a skip.
brown
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've never heard of a situation like this before . Your writing can't have been completely illegible, surely? For an A-grade in Unit 6, you will need a total of 144/180 from your other two A2 modules. If you've got 77 in your coursework, you'll need 67 in Unit 5, which is a B. How far were you into the A-grade boundary at AS? If you got more than 240/300, this will enable you to lose more marks in Unit 5 and still get an A overall.
Karvel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Aye true, surely everyone's handwriting gets crappy towards the end of the exam - but this seems to imply that it was illegible from the very start and they couldn't mark anything?!
brown
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Karvel)
Aye true, surely everyone's handwriting gets crappy towards the end of the exam - but this seems to imply that it was illegible from the very start and they couldn't mark anything?!
Yeah that's what I don't quite get... I'm waiting for the OP to reply!
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It's odd that AQA are saying your entire script was illegible Examiners must surely come across loads of examples of bad handwriting and almost always manage to either decipher it themselves or pass it on to another examiner who can. And surely your handwriting can't have been much worse in unit 6 than it was in units 4 and 5, so why is it only unit 6 they can't read? Very strange. Anyway, to answer your question, it depends how well you did in unit 5, whether or not your coursework mark gets changed by the moderators and how high your A was at AS.
hi there
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Wouldn't they just give you a U, i.e unclassified?
brown
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
And another thing, why would the exam board write to the OP before results day to inform him of this? Why couldn't it wait until results day? They haven't exactly helped the OP's anxiety by revealing this information to him. It does seem weird that the exam board are even prepared to give him a mark for Unit 6 if his entire script was illegible; surely this is unfair to other candidates and might not be a true representation of how he really did perform on that paper? The more I read colemanator's post, the more suspicious I become and judging by his previous posts, I don't think we'll get a response...
Mah
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It might not be their fault that its illegible the marker could have spilt stuff all over it or something.
brown
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Mah)
It might not be their fault that its illegible the marker could have spilt stuff all over it or something.
I seriously doubt that :rolleyes: . 'Illegible' normally refers to messy and unclear handwriting...
Dionysus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If it's illegible it can't be just your handwriting, they would have given you a U. It's highly irregular. It suggests that the damage was done AFTER you submitted the paper. Otherwise they're being very generous by agreeing to give you a mark at all.
Kidders
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hmm this to me doesn't sound very believable... like others have said if it was illegible then you would get a grade U - unclassified / unmarkable, because they can't read it to mark it. Also, the exam board wouldn't have the candidates address at hand surely it would be sent to the school and then forwarded, and plus like mentioned previously in this thread you wouldn't find out now, you would be told on results day.. it's basically informaing you of what grade (roughly) you are likely to receive - legally you're not even meant to know your coursework results until results day as they are still dependable on the result of the batch that get sent for moderation, and you just can't know for some reason my school was really strict on this!

I'm not acusing the op of lying but maybe it was a hoax letter or perhaps the op is having a laugh out of boredom?
Karvel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Actually - if this DID actually happen, and you got an U for the module because of it, would you only find out on results day?!
brown
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Karvel)
Actually - if this DID actually happen, and you got an U for the module because of it, would you only find out on results day?!
Yes I would guess so. I mean what would be the point in telling you in advance? I don't think the exam board would write a letter to you just to say that you got a U in one module because of the your indecipherable handwriting.
hi there
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Just out of curiosity. What would happen if the examiner spilt coffee or something over it?
Crystal89
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hmm, interesting question. I suppose they'd have to ask your teacher for a predicted grade based on your work throughout the year, maybe ask to see a mock paper if you did one? I'd like to think that they'd be careful with their coffee though!
yellow96
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by hi there)
Just out of curiosity. What would happen if the examiner spilt coffee or something over it?
All the papers get scanned in, scaled down and printed off again, so there'd be a computer based copy and the original left if this happened. (FYI, that's why you're not supposed to write in the margins - they won't be able to read it after it's scanned). During the scanning process, I seriously doubt any liquid is allowed near the papers. It'll be far more formal than when the examiners settle down with a cuppa to actually mark them.

EDIT: Oh, and also; a friend of mine did her philosophy synoptic exam on a computer (this is allowed for this particular exam) and something went wrong, changing all her writing to random digits. It was classed as illegible, and she recieved an automatic U, not an average mark.
LysiE
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hi

Like Thelfo said, I was pretty sure all the scripts were scanned, so if an examiner spilt coffee all over the paper, you'd just have to print out a new copy. Also, the AQA website says (although it's for GCSE) that "Very occasionally a script is very hard to read or illegible. If you have one of these, you should give the mark you think it deserves, but you must also mark it RSE and complete Form EX/SRF [send it to the senior examiner] so that it can be deciphered fully later on." http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gcse/qp-m...W-MS-JUN06.PDF I hope that applies to A2, as I have really bad writing, and did my exams with an arm injury.

We were told our coursework marks from our teachers, although I did Language and Literature. Some of the folders do go off to the board for verification, though.

Lys
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1619)
79.13%
Leave (427)
20.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed