The Student Room Group

Does full-time funding affect part-time funding?

Hello.

I am hoping someone here can help me please.

My husband wants to go back to the OU after a few failed attempts at attending a brick uni. He used to be on the old payment plan for the courses, but as he has left and wants to return he can't go back onto the transitional fee route.

We are therefore looking into applying for funding from SFE for him...

He has used all but one year of full-time funding, but needs to complete more that one year of OU courses..

So the question is:

Will his full-time funding allowance being used up, affect him getting funding for the part-time OU modules, or does it come out of a seperate 'pot' iygwim.

Many Thanks,
Reply 1
Original post by redmel1621
Hello.

I am hoping someone here can help me please.

My husband wants to go back to the OU after a few failed attempts at attending a brick uni. He used to be on the old payment plan for the courses, but as he has left and wants to return he can't go back onto the transitional fee route.

We are therefore looking into applying for funding from SFE for him...

He has used all but one year of full-time funding, but needs to complete more that one year of OU courses..

So the question is:

Will his full-time funding allowance being used up, affect him getting funding for the part-time OU modules, or does it come out of a seperate 'pot' iygwim.

Many Thanks,

The entitlement to SF is across an individual's lifetime, so yes, any previous uni-level study will affect his entitlement. It is effectively a "single pot". I first went to uni 1982-4 and this affected my SF when I tried again 2008-11.

I'm a bit hazy on part-time vs full-time. He's probably best advised to call SF direct and ask them.

A few things which might help:

The basic SF entitlement calculation is:
Number of years of new uni course (minus) Number of previous years of uni-level study (plus) One year = Number of years of SF entitlement remaining.

For the purposes of that calculation, partial years are treated as complete. He needs to check with SF about the implications for further part-time study.

Any SF funding deficit will be applied at the start of the new course. For example if you are starting a three year degree but only have one year of SF entitlement remaining, you will get that funding in the third year and would have to be self-funding for the first and second years (including paying your own tuition fees).

OU study is always classed as part-time (even if you choose to study at what would be a full-time rate at a brick uni) so OU courses only ever attract the Tuition Fee Loan and won't qualify for a Maintenance Loan.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending