Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will I struggle to get a part time job being over 25 (given minimum wage is higher) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm 25, starting a foundation year in September then a 3 Year Computer Science degree.

I'd like to get a part time job while working through uni. Up to around 12 hours would be enough for me (and preferably all in one day!). However, I'm aware that as I am over 25, the minimum wage for me is £7.20. This is compared to £5.30 for age 18 - 20 and £6.70 for 21-24.

Given that most of the jobs "flexible" enough for students are looking to pay bottom rate, will I struggle to get something casual enough?

I've been working since I left sixth form + have some varied experience:

- Bartending/Waitering (8 months)
    - Care Work (4 Years)
    - Media and IT Apprentice (2 Years)

I also have a lot of voluntary experience (Scouts, Police)

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    Same boat. 27, start full time 3 year teaching degree in September. Wondering if I will actually get anywhere when you can employ an 18 year old for a fraction of the costs. Couple of points though:

1. Look at supermarket jobs or industries that pay more than minimum wage for all staff.
    2. Maturity goes along way so don't discount yourself
    3. Try. Don't be put off by the younger ones.
    4. Care work usually pays decent so if you are happy to do that again, work with what you know.

Does your student loan cover basic costs? mine does but I am currently saving for a deposit for when I graduate,

Goodluck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ljayne89)
    Hey,
    Same boat. 27, start full time 3 year teaching degree in September. Wondering if I will actually get anywhere when you can employ an 18 year old for a fraction of the costs. Couple of points though:

1. Look at supermarket jobs or industries that pay more than minimum wage for all staff.
    2. Maturity goes along way so don't discount yourself
    3. Try. Don't be put off by the younger ones.
    4. Care work usually pays decent so if you are happy to do that again, work with what you know.

Does your student loan cover basic costs? mine does but I am currently saving for a deposit for when I graduate,

Goodluck!

Hi,

Thanks. Yes the I should be fine money wise as I'm staying at home and have a surplus, but things will be tighter if I want to go out/little extras/save up so I'd rather be working.

No pressure to but like I said even a 10 hour shift on a Sunday would make a big difference

ReputationRep:
    Look for jobs on campus: I don't know if it's the same everywhere, but my university pays well over the minimum wage.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 44. This time last year I applied for two part-time jobs. I was interviewed for both and got one (still working there a year on). The one which initially rejected me, rang a few weeks later to ask if I'd accept a Christmas/New Year temporary contract.

So no, your age won't automatically lock you out of that job market. If you're the right person, you'll be fine. Being older can give the impression (rightly or wrongly!) that you might be more reliable, conscientious etc. so age can be a positive thing as well. Previous work experience will definitely be in your favour. Try places like large supermarkets, which tend to have a higher staff turnover and recruit regularly. If you get get into somewhere half decent like M&S, John Lewis/Waitrose, it could be a good move. My nephew works for Tesco and loves it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.