The Student Room Group

So if I was aiming for a history degree...

Hi all,

I have to choose my a levels tomorrow and I think I have left this a bit late! Anyway, my ultimate goal is to study history at uni, or maybe something like philosophy and religion if I like it at A level.

I am thinking of taking AS levels in: History, Philosophy and Ethics, Maths and Chemistry.
I know they're all respectable subjects, but my question is are these ASs relevant enough, especially the last two.

Reading around TSR people taking history at Oxbridge seem to have taken all essay subjects, and I want to know if doing what is planned will put me at a disadvantage as opposed to someone who took history, philosophy, French and maths/chem, for example.
(I know that in philosophy and religion you read the old texts in their original language so showing that you can learn a language may be good)

Thank you so much!!
Original post by *Blank*
Hi all,

I have to choose my a levels tomorrow and I think I have left this a bit late! Anyway, my ultimate goal is to study history at uni, or maybe something like philosophy and religion if I like it at A level.

I am thinking of taking AS levels in: History, Philosophy and Ethics, Maths and Chemistry.
I know they're all respectable subjects, but my question is are these ASs relevant enough, especially the last two.

Reading around TSR people taking history at Oxbridge seem to have taken all essay subjects, and I want to know if doing what is planned will put me at a disadvantage as opposed to someone who took history, philosophy, French and maths/chem, for example.
(I know that in philosophy and religion you read the old texts in their original language so showing that you can learn a language may be good)

Thank you so much!!

Pick subjects that you are interested in and will get you a good grade. Do you like maths and chem did you find them easy at GCSE?
Reply 2
Original post by SuperHuman98
Pick subjects that you are interested in and will get you a good grade. Do you like maths and chem did you find them easy at GCSE?

Yeah I did, I guess I just don't want unis to look and think that I was trying to keep my options open, because I am actually set on history. I didn't mind French either though (though not as much)
Pick what you like!!! As long as you've got history Alevel and another essay subject your fine!!!
Original post by *Blank*
Yeah I did, I guess I just don't want unis to look and think that I was trying to keep my options open, because I am actually set on history. I didn't mind French either though (though not as much)

Unis wont care if you have a variety aslong as you meet requirements :smile:
Original post by *Blank*
Hi all,

Thank you so much!!

http://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-study-history

The other ones are Classics, English Lit, Politics, Economics.Philosophy, Sociology.

You need the grades first.

Quick Reply

Latest