Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the middle of trying to get the last things I'm going to need so that when I get to uni I (hopefully) won't have forgotten anything. Due to expiration dates I'll have to leave food closer to the time, so I was wondering what suggestions you guys had food things to bring/buy as soon as I get there so I'm prepared?

I was thinking along the lines of long-lasting cupboard/freezer food that would be useful to have around (so I can ask my mom to buy me now so it won't have to come out of my weekly budgets lmao) but anything would be useful to hear.

Any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wickedisgood)
    I'm in the middle of trying to get the last things I'm going to need so that when I get to uni I (hopefully) won't have forgotten anything. Due to expiration dates I'll have to leave food closer to the time, so I was wondering what suggestions you guys had food things to bring/buy as soon as I get there so I'm prepared?

I was thinking along the lines of long-lasting cupboard/freezer food that would be useful to have around (so I can ask my mom to buy me now so it won't have to come out of my weekly budgets lmao) but anything would be useful to hear.

Any suggestions?
    Pasta is a good one along with rice. A selection of dried herbs and spices will last for ages and make otherwise bland food, tasty. Tinned stuff that you might like - beans, tuna etc. can be quick protein fixes and are filling.

I wouldn't buy freezer food until you find out how much freezer space you'll have.

ReputationRep:
    Anything in a tin! So tinned fruit, soup, veg and fish is always good. Also stock up on pasta, cereal, spaghetti and rice. Try some packet foods as well so instant soup mixes, instant mash potato and angel delight. You can also get those jelly pots and pots of fruit. Oh and things like crisps, chocolate and oreos all ways go down well.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    ASDA does a 3kg bag of pasta, that could last a whole term. Also stock up on tins of chopped tomatoes and tomato puree

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget to buy a personal fridge and cupboard for your room.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm stocking up on spices and hygiene/cleaning products as those are the most expensive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by wickedisgood)

Any suggestions?
    Hello

I'd suggest pastas, rices, frozen meals and quick meals - just to last for a couple of days and then get a shop done as soon as possible and get some food in! Don't worry about taking a full shop when you first get there, just take a little to eat for a couple of days.

Best of luck
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Anything you can get in a packet, such as pasta and sauce. As mentioned, you need to take food for a few days. You don't want to get there and have to go shopping.

ReputationRep:
    My friend and I are set launch a company in October to ease this problem. We provide an affordable parcel service filled with fresh ingredients and meal recipes for modest chefs that want to eat healthily in little time. If you're interested in the idea of eating delicious meals for less than £4 please visit our website at easycookclub.webflow.io . Thank you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.