Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if this is in the right place, as I'm wanting expert advice from people in the know, not just opinions, so feel free to tell me if this needs to go in a different area.

I got accepted into my first choice uni and am due to start this September (in three weeks) but with the reality of getting the reading list/thinking about packing I have started to feel that I'm not ready to go to uni this year. I'd like to work, get some experience and maybe do some volunteering but I'm not planning any trips abroad. I definitely want to go to this uni next year to do the same course though, I just don't feel ready right now.

Given that I'm due to start in three weeks and I've already started the online pre-registration process, is it too late to ask the uni to defer my place? And what would I need to say to present it in a positive light? Does it sound bad to say that I don't feel ready? Also, I didn't quite meet the grades of my offer but they let me in anyway - would this affect their decision whether to let me defer or not?

Thanks in advance for any help/info
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellismall)
    Not sure if this is in the right place, as I'm wanting expert advice from people in the know, not just opinions, so feel free to tell me if this needs to go in a different area.

I got accepted into my first choice uni and am due to start this September (in three weeks) but with the reality of getting the reading list/thinking about packing I have started to feel that I'm not ready to go to uni this year. I'd like to work, get some experience and maybe do some volunteering but I'm not planning any trips abroad. I definitely want to go to this uni next year to do the same course though, I just don't feel ready right now.

Given that I'm due to start in three weeks and I've already started the online pre-registration process, is it too late to ask the uni to defer my place? And what would I need to say to present it in a positive light? Does it sound bad to say that I don't feel ready? Also, I didn't quite meet the grades of my offer but they let me in anyway - would this affect their decision whether to let me defer or not?

Hi, I am not an expert on this, but here is my opinion.

Some (top) universities are fine with students deferring their places for one year, but they want to know that you have a clear constructive plan on how you will be spending your year.

These universities are weary of students not doing something positive with their gap year. For example, if you say that you want to take a gap year to work at a Museum in Manchester or Edinburgh for a year and you will be studying History at University, then it is clearly a positive step forward. However, if you say that you want to play Xbox for a year, then some schools shun that and may actually refuse you.

I think that you should think thoroughly about it and be clear that it is not fresher's fright, which happens to many students. If it is, then speak to someone and get yourself into the mood for you. If it is not, then make a strong case and apply for a gap year.

When you have made up your mind, contact them.

It depends on the University, some may be willing to listen to it, while others may not be so pleased.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Only the university admissions can tell you the answer to this. The worst they can say is no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellismall)

Last year I got into Brighton through clearing, and one of my grades were one lower than asked for. They let me deffer a year when I asked at around this date a year prior, and earlier this year let me switch from chemistry to compSci. There wasn't even any argument or resistance about it, it was just like 'yeah sure we'll do that, thanks for the heads up'. So from my experience, requesting stuff like this isn't as scary and arduous as it sounds. Mind you Brighton is not the most prestigious, so that may have affected their leniency

Anyways, as above has said, best to phone up the admissions team and ask them about it. (Although I merely handled my stuff through email because I'm a wimp )

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.