Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I need a job and have been handing cv's in store and looking online but i cant. I live in Glasgow can someone please help or give me an idea of where to go thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I can't help you get a job but maybe you could get somebody to check how good your CV is. Also, don't just hand out generic Cvs; read the job descriptions etc. and tailor them all uniquely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cammymoss)
    I need a job and have been handing cv's in store and looking online but i cant. I live in Glasgow can someone please help or give me an idea of where to go thanks.
    What kind of job are you looking for? If it's customer related I can help if you want

ReputationRep:
    Some places require you to apply online (e.g. mcdonalds, asda, tesco etc).
    Some places now are starting to advertise for temp jobs though, so look for adverts in windows.
    Look on websites like indeed.co.uk as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Some places require you to apply online (e.g. mcdonalds, asda, tesco etc).
    Some places now are starting to advertise for temp jobs though, so look for adverts in windows.
    Look on websites like indeed.co.uk as well.
    Thanks have been applying online a bit but will definetly look into it more

ReputationRep:
    Well there's your problem right there. You live in Glasgow

ReputationRep:
    I would rather kill myself than hand out CV's

ReputationRep:

Go to employment agencies on the high street, sign up with lots of different ones as they can get you jobs quicker, if there is a Reed in your area go to them and other agencies but don't just rely on one agency because you will have more luck signing up with several different ones, maybe tell them your interested in working as a Trainee Recruitment Consultant aswell as other jobs as they might have vacancies for that working for their company too

Type employment agencies Glasgow on google and a list of different agencies will come up

also apply online with Reed, CV Library, Indeed, Monster

Apply for Trainee Recruitment jobs online on the websites i mentioned above

Type Foxtons estate agents on google but put Foxtons Glasgow because they train people with no experience for all types of different roles so if you don't want to be an estate agent they have jobs in admin, etc
    Or if there is no Foxtons in your area just type trainee estate agent jobs on google
    Or whatever job you want to do just type the name of the job on google and a list of those jobs will come up

www.student jobs

Just type jobs on google and a list will come up

Look on Gumtree website for jobs

Type Film extras on google to earn easy money working in interesting, fun jobs

Type www.Star Now on google, sign up with them

Type www.Capital Casting on google, sign up with them

Look up www.Seeking Arrangement on google see if they do it in your area, it's about being a companion to wealthy people and you don't have to sleep with them

If you look on google for a list of companies you can do cold calling by ringing them all up to ask if they have any vacancies because it saves companies money by not advertising jobs and they may be looking for someone and would be glad you called spontaneously as i was told to do this years ago and sometimes you get knock backs but sometimes you also get interviews or they tell you to send your cv as i have had success just by cold calling companies, this is also how recruitment agencies get a lot of their jobs for other people just by cold calling companies but you must ring a lot of companies or spend 1 hour ringing not just ring only 3 or 4 times and you have to be persistent and don't get depressed if most of them say no because for every company that says no at least 1 will say yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tw1x)
    I can't help you get a job but maybe you could get somebody to check how good your CV is. Also, don't just hand out generic Cvs; read the job descriptions etc. and tailor them all uniquely

This is excellent advice as a lot of companies do not even look at your cv or do not contact you just because your cv is not tailored to the job they do.
    I forget to tell people this so i have been on lots of cv courses over the years and i could not be bothered to change my cv to specific job roles so i did not get many replies or interviews but when i changed it i got a lot more responses, eg when i apply for Trainee recruitment, Admin jobs i only send cv that has all the Admin, Reception and one voluntary customer service jobs i have done but i used to send cv with a mix of retail, picker/packer and admin on it when applying for admin jobs and i never got any responses or just pure rejections. Or if i wanted to apply for retail jobs i would send a cv with only all my retail, customer service jobs i did but before i would send a cv with retail and all my admin jobs and i would never be contacted by companies because i had lots of admin on the cv too so i just deleted the admin off the cv
    My friend says she has 7 different cv's but that's too many i just need 2 different cv's so one is my admin cv which is only for applying for Admin, Trainee recruitment, estate agent jobs and the other cv only has retail, packer, hotel jobs i've done if i apply for retail jobs but i hate retail and don't want to go back to it and i don't apply for those much only occasionally because recruiment jobs pay a lot more and there are big incentives and bonuses in recruitment jobs.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 30, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.