Turn on thread page Beta

Maybe there is life out there; especially considering that there are millions upon millions of galaxies/solar systems, it might be arrogant to think that we on earth constitute the whole of life in the universe (a pretty lonely thought, in any case).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firebladez777)
    Maybe there is life out there; especially considering that there are millions upon millions of galaxies/solar systems, it might be arrogant to think that we on earth constitute the whole of life in the universe (a pretty lonely thought, in any case).
    Being a physicist..I agree with u...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rose in Bloom)
    Being a physicist..I agree with u...
    I don't have to be a physicist to agree with you lot.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    anyone here believe in strings? I think that theory is facinating and it does allow for parellel universes

ReputationRep:
    I think is the closest thing to certainty that there is other life out there, but it may not be as we know it

Its life Jim, but not as we know it! (Raps to ST rap)...

Im a freak.

Seriously though, whether it is Carbon based, Silicon based, or something entirely different, there is life out there. I think they avoid contact with us because they are either unintelligent, as we arguably are! They could, however, be intelligent enough not to make contact with a race so malevolent and directionless as our own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sublime_envy)
    anyone here believe in strings? I think that theory is facinating and it does allow for parellel universes
    String theory? Is that were the expresion 'How long's a piece of string?' originates from?

One star has 9 planets, one of these has life on for sure, another has potential life, the moon of another also has potential life.

There are billions of stars in each galaxy....there are billions of galaxies in the universe.....surely there's more life somewhere, the requirements required limit the probability of life massively, but the size of the universerse makes up for this.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    it a theory that the universe is made up of string particles that vibrate. no its not where the saying comes from, the theory is quite new

(Original post by RobbieC)
    I think they avoid contact with us because they are either unintelligent, as we arguably are! They could, however, be intelligent enough not to make contact with a race so malevolent and directionless as our own.
    Yep gotta agree. I mean, reading sci-fi and all that makes you aware just how much a supercivilisation could acheive. What if there are other species out there who just think we're so primitive they don't bother even attempting contact.

And about the C/Si thing. This is also true..I don't know why so many physicists say that water and oxygen are essential for life. They're only essential for life as we know it. I've always maintained the belief that there could be other life forms out there to whom (eg) sulphur dioxide is as essential as oxygen is to us.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know anything about parallel universes or string theory but I believe from my limited knowledge of the universe that there is probably life on other planets somewhere (outside our solar system).

Does the parallel universe thing suggest that there is other Earths with another me? And you?

ReputationRep:
    it a theory that the universe is made up of string particles that vibrate. no its not where the saying comes from, the theory is quite new
    String theory was developed in the seventies - if you call that new.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by hornblower)
    String theory was developed in the seventies - if you call that new.
    yes I do actually, compared to other theories. And actually it started off with Sir Issac Newton and was based on his ideas of his invented calculus to describe the motions of falling objects and orbiting planets
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Gimp)
    I don't know anything about parallel universes or string theory but I believe from my limited knowledge of the universe that there is probably life on other planets somewhere (outside our solar system).

Does the parallel universe thing suggest that there is other Earths with another me? And you?
    yes, and it also says that if you can rip space time then you can create a black hole which would allow you passage between two worlds. Different theories range but there are about 10 different dimensions

ReputationRep:
    I doubt something as mysterious as consciousness could arise elsewhere. The universe doesn't seem to have a mind anywhere but here.

ReputationRep:
    yes, and it also says that if you can rip space time then you can create a black hole which would allow you passage between two worlds. Different theories range but there are about 10 different dimensions
    Interesting

All sounds a bit Star Trek to me, not sure I can believe it. Would be very interesting if it could be proven
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    would you like some links? Also, stephen hawking speaks about string theory in his book and you can usually find something on the discovery channel about it.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously there is other life out there - the rules of statistics make it as near to fact as possible.

However the problem with detecting it is that what if they are so advanced they they don't radiate any energy from their planet (in the form of radio waves, etc) and that they see us as so far behind them as not being worth the effect of establishing contact with (EDIT - damn! Firebladez already said that!). Just a thought.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Chubb)
    Obviously there is other life out there - the rules of statistics make it as near to fact as possible.

However the problem with detecting it is that what if they are so advanced they they don't radiate any energy from their planet (in the form of radio waves, etc) and that they see us as so far behind them as not being worth the effect of establishing contact with. Just a thought.
    not that we would have the capability to pick up these 'radio waves'

I believe in an open mind, and I think several physical theories allow for life on other planets.

ReputationRep:
    if there are parallel universes, that means there would have to be infinite amount of them, which seems bit incredulous... :eek: I dont know. Im not much of a physicist, although Im fascinated by the extraterrestial junkyard out there!

HAs anyone heard of the story how there are 13 or 14 earths or universes...and we're on the middle one - number 7. Is there any scientific theory that sounds similar to this?

To answer the tquestion posted in the original thread title...i think there is somewhere, it would be quite a coincidence for only earth to be the planet in the entire universe wouldnt it?

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the idea that due to the size of the universe it's almost certain that there is life/conciousness elsewhere.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.