Turn on thread page Beta

Life on other planets? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firebladez777)
    Maybe there is life out there; especially considering that there are millions upon millions of galaxies/solar systems, it might be arrogant to think that we on earth constitute the whole of life in the universe (a pretty lonely thought, in any case).
    I agree that there is probably life out on another planet somewhere in the universe. However I don't think that aliens have come to earth and what form the life would take I have no idea.

ReputationRep:

And about the C/Si thing. This is also true..I don't know why so many physicists say that water and oxygen are essential for life. They're only essential for life as we know it. I've always maintained the belief that there could be other life forms out there to whom (eg) sulphur dioxide is as essential as oxygen is to us.

i definately agree with that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    I agree that there is probably life out on another planet somewhere in the universe. However I don't think that aliens have come to earth and what form the life would take I have no idea.
    But what about the Grolsh advert. I suppose you think they are just costumes ah?

ReputationRep:
    Actually most stars do not have as many planets as we do, some have none and orbit other stars, some have one or two. And if a planet were to orbit a star it needs some fundemental things, for life such as ours to evolve; a magnetic field to deflect solar wind, an appropriate orbit radius so that it's not too hot nor cold etc.

Having said that, it is a statistical nightmare to argue that we are the only multi-planet solar system in the galaxy. Universe is a bit too large a scale to be talking about! It could even be infinite so let's not go there.

Now take all the solar systems with more than 4 planets, for example. What are the chances that one of those is in the right orbit to be at a temperature between water freezing and boiling? All life that we know needs water. Perhaps 1 in 10 planets? And how many will have molten iron cores? Perhaps 1 in 3? I don't know.

Basically I'm saying that based on statistics, yes there is probably life out there. But the distance to that life will be larger than anyone's lifetime even travelling at the speed of any radio waves we pick up, so it's not that important. Unless you are looking for a religious case I suppose!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    Actually most stars do not have as many planets as we do, some have none and orbit other stars, some have one or two.
    thats a pretty big presumption

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    thats a pretty big presumption
    Most observed* stars, sorry

And another concession, planets are nowhere near as luminous. But still where planets have been found, they haven't been found in large numbers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    Most observed* stars, sorry

And another concession, planets are nowhere near as luminous. But still where planets have been found, they haven't been found in large numbers.
    even then we still lack the equipment to see smaller planets which are earth sized so its very difficult to put a value on the average number of planets a star system has, i suspect it would be low as I imagine alot have none but we simply do not have enought data at the moment to make any realistic predictions

ReputationRep:
    stalking.....

ReputationRep:
    What's next after Lord?

You've missed out Viscount

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Gnostic)
    I feel sorry for the poor Martians once they start getting flooded by asylum-seekers.
    :rolleyes: ur new

ReputationRep:
    If anyone wants to know about String Theory etc., then have a look here.

(Original post by mik1a)
    Now take all the solar systems with more than 4 planets, for example. What are the chances that one of those is in the right orbit to be at a temperature between water freezing and boiling? All life that we know needs water. Perhaps 1 in 10 planets? And how many will have molten iron cores? Perhaps 1 in 3? I don't know.
    This is, of course, assuming that the only possible life forms out there are those with similar needs to our own. Yes, all life as we know it needs water, but I am talking about life as we don't know it.

Maybe there are species out there to whom raging storms and a sub-absolute-zero climate would be hospitable (i.e. these sort of conditions wouldn't exactly be harsh for them....), or maybe there are those that would thrive in a volcanic world, with lava spewing out every few seconds, and inhaling methane might be necessary for them We never know....it may just be a trifle supercilious to believe that all life that exists in the universe has the same basic requirements as our own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)

Basically I'm saying that based on statistics, yes there is probably life out there. But the distance to that life will be larger than anyone's lifetime even travelling at the speed of any radio waves we pick up, so it's not that important. Unless you are looking for a religious case I suppose!
    i agree that the distance to that life will be larger than anyone's lifetime even travelling at the speed of any radio waves we pick up but then you are assuming that the living organisms has the same conditions as us. for something similar (to what lives here) can be formed it has to be formed in the same way, in terms of temperature etc.

i think that there can be life on other planets that has found a way to develop without the same conditions as us. maybe not little green men, but bacteria.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe there is life out there; especially considering that there are millions upon millions of galaxies/solar systems, it might be arrogant to think that we on earth constitute the whole of life in the universe (a pretty lonely thought, in any case).

In an infinite universe, there must be an infinite number of inhabited planets IDENTICAL to earth as well as an infinite number of other inhabited planets not like earth.

In a non-infinite (but damn big) universe, it is statistically exceedingly probable that there are other inhabited planets...

That is not the question. The question is, why care? We do not have the technology to visits them, are constrained by the speed of light in the partial vacuum of outer space to even contact them if they are more than a few light years away (i.e. send a message and get a reply during your lifetime). No point for our curiosity, therefore...

As for them, what if they want to mess us up? Well, they must have the technology to get here (which is well beyond ours), so we are screwed. If they want to come to help us out of some weird alien altruism, then bouncy - but we won't know they are coming until they arrive so we can't even spoil our own surprise.

My advice... Study for you courses next year and stop dreaming about nonsense...

Pol the hypocrit

(Original post by polthegael)

My advice... Study for you courses next year and stop dreaming about nonsense...

Pol the hypocrit
    Thanks for your advice Pol...you'll understand if I don't take it, of course.
    2 years before the Wright brothers, some big politician claimed that Air travel was, and would always be, impossible. Now we have thousands of jet planes flying to hundreds of destinations every day.

It is by resigning outselves to the seemingly inevitable "facts" that any kind of scientific progress is inhibited. If Newton just sat there and thought "Right...well, everything that can possibly be discovered has already been discovered, so why bother formulating new laws and theories...I'll go and have a beer, and stop worrying about the apple that's just fallen on my head", then where would we be now? Einstein once said"Never stop questioning". Just because something seems impossible now doesn't mean it always will be. Only time can tell.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your advice Pol...you'll understand if I don't take it, of course.
    2 years before the Wright brothers, some big politician claimed that Air travel was, and would always be, impossible. Now we have thousands of jet planes flying to hundreds of destinations every day.

It is by resigning outselves to the seemingly inevitable "facts" that any kind of scientific progress is inhibited. If Newton just sat there and thought "Right...well, everything that can possibly be discovered has already been discovered, so why bother formulating new laws and theories...I'll go and have a beer, and stop worrying about the apple that's just fallen on my head", then where would we be now? Einstein once said"Never stop questioning". Just because something seems impossible now doesn't mean it always will be. Only time can tell.

Fundementally, I agree with you. But why care? It's unlikely to be you who invents the necessary technology - especially if you waste your time thinking and reading about flights of fancy instead of your coursework. Become some sort of scientific doctor and write papers on the stuff, it just maybe isn't such a great idea right now...

Your parents

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    I think is the closest thing to certainty that there is other life out there, but it may not be as we know it

Its life Jim, but not as we know it! (Raps to ST rap)...

Im a freak.

Seriously though, whether it is Carbon based, Silicon based, or something entirely different, there is life out there. I think they avoid contact with us because they are either unintelligent, as we arguably are! They could, however, be intelligent enough not to make contact with a race so malevolent and directionless as our own.
    well if they do make contact with us we should be very afraid as they will clearly be more intelligent than us! also i think one of the main reasons why anyone would want to make contact is if their resources had ran out on their planet.

ReputationRep:
    In the unimagionable expanse of space and time... how can we realistically believe that in all this infinity we are the only planet in the entire universe/s that meets the neccessary criteria for life?

(Original post by polthegael)
    Fundementally, I agree with you. But why care? It's unlikely to be you who invents the necessary technology - especially if you waste your time thinking and reading about flights of fancy instead of your coursework. Become some sort of scientific doctor and write papers on the stuff, it just maybe isn't such a great idea right now...

Your parents
    Btw...I have no more coursework. And no technology is invented without imagination Pol, so I guess I'm going to continue to dream, if that's alright with you (even if it isn't, I'm still going to). Just because we might not ever see the day in our lifetimes, doesn't mean we can't/shouldn't think about it.

ReputationRep:
    Btw...I have no more coursework. And no technology is invented without imagination Pol, so I guess I'm going to contimue to dream, if that's alright with you (even if it isn't, I'm still going to). Just because we might not ever see the day in our lifetimes, doesn't mean we can't/shouldn't think about it.

Spoken like a true Cornish Republican! You must have some idea of your work for next year, anyway... Go ahead... Dream!

Society for the Protection of Wasters and Dreamers

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.