Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    HI everyone , first of all i would like to say thanks for reading this thread.

i have completed 2 years doing business at university going into my third next month , and since day one I've hated the university and the subject . Due to family problems i was unable to move after the first year . Thereafter i hoped my passion for this career would increase . But after my second completed year i am unhappy . I can't see myself working in that field , and honestly am so much demotivated . The only reason why i have come 2 yrs is family pressure .

Some months ago i spoken to family , and put in an ucas application for law at a different university . I feel much more happy doing that course , and now after results day i got accepted into that university . I dont know what to do , i want to move and feel much more motivated doing that subject , than carrying , third year is going to be a lot harder and i dont see myself working hard enough to succeed if i am honest. Some people at uni said I'm still young enough to do so but I'm confused .

Can someone help me decide what to do ? as its just not university its student finance too , what happened to the finances ?
    How quickly should i tell either university where i am going ?

Thank you everyone again for reading

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiger27)

i have completed 2 years doing business at university going into my third next month , and since day one I've hated the university and the subject . Due to family problems i was unable to move after the first year . Thereafter i hoped my passion for this career would increase . But after my second completed year i am unhappy . I can't see myself working in that field , and honestly am so much demotivated . The only reason why i have come 2 yrs is family pressure .

Some months ago i spoken to family , and put in an ucas application for law at a different university . I feel much more happy doing that course , and now after results day i got accepted into that university . I dont know what to do , i want to move and feel much more motivated doing that subject , than carrying , third year is going to be a lot harder and i dont see myself working hard enough to succeed if i am honest. Some people at uni said I'm still young enough to do so but I'm confused .

Can someone help me decide what to do ? as its just not university its student finance too , what happened to the finances ?

Hiya,

Well firstly go ahead with what makes you happy, don't pressure yourself to do something you dislike. But you do mention yourself not working hard enough to succeed. Then question yourself what is the point really of changing course and studying that if you're not going to do well. If I was in your position I would just complete the last year, that way you'll be a graduate. Then maybe go on to finding work experience in a field you're interested?

Don't know how finances work, sorry about that.

As soon as you are sure about your next steps with your life make the university aware of it.

I hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by undercxver)
    Hiya,

Well firstly go ahead with what makes you happy, don't pressure yourself to do something you dislike. But you do mention yourself not working hard enough to succeed. Then question yourself what is the point really of changing course and studying that if you're not going to do well. If I was in your position I would just complete the last year, that way you'll be a graduate. Then maybe go on to finding work experience in a field you're interested?

Don't know how finances work, sorry about that.

As soon as you are sure about your next steps with your life make the university aware of it.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks very much for your advice .
    I feel more motivated changing course and uni , I'm not just saying that as its ind of a new start , but i honestly think i wud be better for me . However as silly as it sounds i feel its a bit embarrassing just changing all of a sudden .
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster

You dont say what you want to do as a career.

You dont say how well you have been doing.

Oprion 1 continue.

You have used 2 years funds.
    You say you have family problems, but not what they were and whether they woyld qualify as mitigating circs. Someone die etc? Something that made you perform poorly? You say it prevented you from moving.

You say you are unmotivated and unhappy? have you been diagnosed with depression or any serious medical condition?

So you carry on and complete your degree, but with what grade? its one more year. You will get finance for 3rd year.

Option 2

Move to the new course.
    Advantage reset exams, happier and enjoy degree.

imo SF wont finance you except for the ength if your new course.

The mistake imo was staying for the 2nd year, when you should have just restarted degree after year 1, which would have got you finance for the rest of your degree. I am unsure whether its 1 or 2 years they would finance. The finance would not be forthcoming for your first year and maybe not for your second year. That means you are finding £9,000 plus living costs for each of those years.

Alternative
    If you cant finance one ir two years then your option is to finish your degree, do well and get a 2:1. If you wnat to be a solicitor then get a TC and get the firm to finance a GDL and the LPC for you.

You should have checked sooner. Please post on SFE forum or contact SFE to check, but I think finance will be limited.

ReputationRep:
    HI everyone , first of all ,,, again for reading
    You do you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    You dont say what you want to do as a career.

You dont say how well you have been doing.

Oprion 1 continue.

You have used 2 years funds.
    You say you have family problems, but not what they were and whether they woyld qualify as mitigating circs. Someone die etc? Something that made you perform poorly? You say it prevented you from moving.

You say you are unmotivated and unhappy? have you been diagnosed with depression or any serious medical condition?

So you carry on and complete your degree, but with what grade? its one more year. You will get finance for 3rd year.

Option 2

Move to the new course.
    Advantage reset exams, happier and enjoy degree.

imo SF wont finance you except for the ength if your new course.

The mistake imo was staying for the 2nd year, when you should have just restarted degree after year 1, which would have got you finance for the rest of your degree. I am unsure whether its 1 or 2 years they would finance. The finance would not be forthcoming for your first year and maybe not for your second year. That means you are finding £9,000 plus living costs for each of those years.

Alternative
    If you cant finance one ir two years then your option is to finish your degree, do well and get a 2:1. If you wnat to be a solicitor then get a TC and get the firm to finance a GDL and the LPC for you.

You should have checked sooner. Please post on SFE forum or contact SFE to check, but I think finance will be limited.
    In option 2 , apparently u can get one plus ur normal course length . So as my course length is 3 years iw led be able to get 4 . Therefore i have to in law course finance myself for a year ?

ReputationRep:
    In option 2 , apparently u can get one plus ur normal course length . So as my course length is 3 years iw led be able to get 4 . Therefore i have to in law course finance myself for a year ?
    Yes, your first year.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Its at least your first year that you will have to finance yourself. Check with SFE or ask PQ.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much for your advice .
    I feel more motivated changing course and uni , I'm not just saying that as its ind of a new start , but i honestly think i wud be better for me . However as silly as it sounds i feel its a bit embarrassing just changing all of a sudden .
    It's not embarrassing at all. People do degrees and realise that's not what they love. Do what you like, that way you're more likely to do well. Good thing you've come to notice your choice before completing the degree.

So what makes you happy. I hope the advice I gave earlier helped you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by undercxver)
    It's not embarrassing at all. People do degrees and realise that's not what they love. Do what you like, that way you're more likely to do well. Good thing you've come to notice your choice before completing the degree.

So what makes you happy. I hope the advice I gave earlier helped you.
    thank you so much for this it really is helpful

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.