The Student Room Group

Can I take both English Lit and Lang at A-Level?

Hello, I was wondering if it's a good idea to take both English lit and English Lang as two different subjects at A level or would it be too much essay writing? 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey!
Well it sort of depends on whether you have an interest in the subjects. I took English Literature last year and got a D in it and attempted to do A2 but felt it was too overwhelming for me. I switched to English language instead. I got an A in AS language. I mean it's pretty self explanatory, lit is more about books and analysing themes, narrative structure etc. English lang on the other hand is more theory based. It includes studies and linguists. It's more about the language, like verbs, nouns, that sort of thing and analysing real life texts like newspapers etc. I think doing both is heavy but if you put your head down it's doable. Of course it'll be a lot of essay writing as the subjects are examined through essays so you can't really do much about it? Additionally, the Language and Literature would go so brilliantly. The knowledge from language can be transferred to literature and vice versa. Language is a really good a-level to have! Universities love it. If you want any more information, just message me.

Good luck! :smile:
yeah you could. there's also a combined english lang & lit a level if your college offers it
There are a bunch of people in my sixth form who do both.

You could do it but I would find it too boring, like doing Maths and Further Maths.
Reply 4
Thankyou for your advice!! I'll also speak to my college and see what they suggest as the best thing to do 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's what I've done (both subjects) and frankly they're so different the essays have pretty much 0 overlap. It's not at all like doing maths and further maths, but more like doing maths and physics: both subjects rely on fundamental principles but the way they use those principles is totally unrelated.
Hey there! I do both (and French) and they are soooo different! Like they obviously compliment each other but you look at different things within them and I find them both genuinely interesting - the combined course doesn't really go into as much depth so I feel like you wouldn't really be getting the full effect :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending