Should I be eating excess or less calories than my requirement Watch

I am Kira
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm 18, 5'11(I think) and 12 stone
I'm going gym 5 times a week, llifting weights working on upper body and legs
Should I be eating excess calories on top of my daily requirement or less calories
I'm trying to lose body fat and gain muscle, not looking into bluking up just increased strength
inhuman
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How can your muscles grow if you don't give them the necessary resources? The daily requirement is to provide all your bodily functions with energy. Muscles growing need extra.
I am Kira
Rep:
?
(Original post by inhuman)
How can your muscles grow if you don't give them the necessary resources? The daily requirement is to provide all your bodily functions with energy. Muscles growing need extra.
Yh but I want to lose fat too, and isnt fat burnt by consuming less calories?
inhuman
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by I am Kira)
Yh but I want to lose fat too, and isnt fat burnt by consuming less calories?
That is why it is generally hard to do both at the same time and people speak of bulking and then cutting.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
One at a time. Lose some weight first and then aim at building some muscle. Always good to start from a lean base. I even recommend to some people not to bother starting lifting until they're lean and then eat well whilst being new to lifting to make some really nice gains. For some odd reason the "but you must lift, more muscle means you burn fat easier!" argument always comes up, but you're not going to gain much muscle whilst you're burning fat, even as a beginner. A tiring hour of cardio will burn calories too, you can use that to help you lose weight.
SmashConcept
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Eat the same amount of calories as you need :yy:
eve_4342
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Should I be eating excess calories on top of my daily requirement or less calories
I'm trying to lose body fat and gain muscle, not looking into bluking up just increased strength
cardio for fat loss, weights for strength and muscle and eat more protein
I am Kira
Rep:
?
(Original post by eve_4342)
cardio for fat loss, weights for strength and muscle and eat more protein
weight training is beneficial for weight loss too you know
Greg Jackson
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
bulk or cut, do one at a time or you'll just end up spinning your wheels
KingJamesIII
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
weight training is beneficial for weight loss too you know

There's a lot of misinformation in the fitness community, particularly regarding the need to bulk or cut.

You can absolutely put on muscle without gaining fat/whilst losing fat, I've gained approx. 8 pounds of lean muscle whilst adding almost 0 added fat the last 4 months by making sure my protein intake, sleep and diet have been on point.

Athlean X on Youtube has lots of supertips, he's a trainer to professional athletes so he knows his stuff.

Good luck and happy lifting!
andyl9
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Eat more than required. I mean a lot more. And burn it off in the gym. If you do start to gain fat then go on a diet and cardio program to get rid of the fat and reveal the ripped abs and toned muscles beneath.
TheStudentPower
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's entirely possible for you to gain muscle in a caloric deficit, it just depends on how hard you diet. In a study published in 2011, Garthe et al. found that a slower rate of weight loss (0.7% bodyweight per week) was superior to a faster rate (1.4%/week) in terms of muscle retention, fat loss, and increases in squat, bench, and deadlift 1RM. If anyone wants to read the study, I can provide a link.

The slower weight loss group used a deficit of around 400 - 600 calories. The important thing to note here is that whilst dieting, protein requirements will go up. Around 1g protein per pound of bodyweight would be sufficient for this. For you, that would be 170g of protein per day.

I know this sounds like a lot, but to put it in perspective, two chicken breasts or 400g of lean beef mince would easily cover half of that. Pulses like beans, lentils, and peas are also high in protein, and are relatively inexpensive.

#YeahScience
Mr T 999
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Wow on people on here have no idea on what they are taking about. Don't listen to them lol

What you want is to be on a calorie deficit where you consume less calories than what you require. Combined with a good diet (high protein, low fat, low carbs) will help you loes weight and gain muscle :yep:

I know cause I'm also on a calorie deficit and loss weight and still put on muscles. :dumbells:

If you have any other questions let me know me know
I am Kira
Rep:
?
(Original post by mr T 999)
Wow on people on here have no idea on what they are taking about. Don't listen to them lol

What you want is to be on a calorie deficit where you consume less calories than what you require. Combined with a good diet (high protein, low fat, low carbs) will help you loes weight and gain muscle :yep:

I know cause I'm also on a calorie deficit and loss weight and still put on muscles. :dumbells:

If you have any other questions let me know me know
Ill do that
Im not really calorie counting but Im eating alot less than usual
Mr T 999
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ill do that
Im not really calorie counting but Im eating alot less than usual

You should start keeping track of your calories. There's an app that does that for you, so you don't have to keep counting it.

Atm I aim to consume between 1900-1800 calories a day.
SmashConcept
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah go ahead and cut from 12 stone just because the most emphatic poster in the thread told you to :rofl:
SmashConcept
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TheStudentPower)
It's entirely possible for you to gain muscle in a caloric deficit, it just depends on how hard you diet. In a study published in 2011, Garthe et al. found that a slower rate of weight loss (0.7% bodyweight per week) was superior to a faster rate (1.4%/week) in terms of muscle retention, fat loss, and increases in squat, bench, and deadlift 1RM. If anyone wants to read the study, I can provide a link.
The fact that Garthe et al needed to carry out a study to find this out makes me not want to read that study.
I am Kira
Rep:
?
(Original post by SmashConcept)
Yeah go ahead and cut from 12 stone just because the most emphatic poster in the thread told you to :rofl:
Lol mate I have a high body fat percentage so obviously im going to try to lose the fat and replace it with muscle
SmashConcept
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Lol mate I have a high body fat percentage so obviously im going to try to lose the fat and replace it with muscle
Then why would you want to lose weight?
I am Kira
Rep:
?
(Original post by SmashConcept)
Then why would you want to lose weight?
Well I wanna lose a mass of fat so yh :p:p
X

Quick Reply

Attached files