Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don't think one is better than the other it jsut depends. If you have a good job then the quality of life will probably be better in the USA, however if you're poor you're probably better of living the UK.

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I don't think one is better than the other it jsut depends. If you have a good job then the quality of life will probably be better in the USA, however if you're poor you're probably better of living the UK.

What do you think?
    Youve probably summed it up there (in terms of relative economic comfort at least). Personally id rather live in the UK for a number of reasons, mostly to do with freedom of speech and the fundementalist attitude prevalent across the water (in several contexts). Im not the greatest fan of our own politicians or system but id take it over the american system any day.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. I just get the impression there are lot of poor people in the USA, especialy in the more remote parts, they live in coditions worse than what you will ever see in the UK council estates.

I would personaly rather live in the UK because I think its a bit fairer and the state system is brilliant. The downside of the Uk because its so compact houses are very expensive so you tend to live in smaller houses.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. I just get the impression there are lot of poor people in the USA, especialy in the more remote parts, they live in coditions worse than what you will ever see in the UK council estates.

I would personaly rather live in the UK because I think its a bit fairer and the state system is brilliant. The downside of the Uk because its so compact houses are very expensive so you tend to live in smaller houses.
    To be upper middle class or richer in the US is wonderful i dont doubt, their lower middle and working classes are far worse off than ours however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CalumanGael)
    To be upper middle class or richer in the US is wonderful i dont doubt, their lower middle and working classes are far worse off than ours however.
    agreed

ReputationRep:

Yes in one of the richest areas of LA there were bums everywhere (far more than in the UK) - seems that if you're rich then you're really rich but if you're poor you're really poor.

I also dislike their fundamentalist attitude (as someone else said) and also their services such as police, health care and education are underfunded to none existant (no NHS) this leads to things such as rampant gun crime - this is not caused by everyone having guns as in fact Canada has the same number of gun / people ration but minimal gun crime - it is caused by the ineffective police.

ReputationRep:

Yes, down south like mississippi and alabama there is some poverty, but there are also plenty of middle-upper class there as well.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is interesting in that if it had been posted on a US-based board there would be 500 posts by now saying "GO USA" and similar. No other country is any where near as rabidly patriotic, except maybe North Korea or China. But is that because they are forced? Americans just seem to think they are the greatest (at everything, in every area) without even considering they could be wrong. This is why they will never have universal healthcare. All other industrialsed nations have it, therefore for the US to get it would be admitting that they were wrong.

Generally, the richer you are, the better you will get along in America, as other have already posted. Note that you have to be a millionaire to run for president. So if you were a milionaire, the US would be better for you than the UK. But Monaco would be better than both and you'd have lots of famous sports/film star tax exiles as your neighbours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babyballerina)
    This thread is interesting in that if it had been posted on a US-based board there would be 500 posts by now saying "GO USA" and similar. No other country is any where near as rabidly patriotic, except maybe North Korea or China. But is that because they are forced? Americans just seem to think they are the greatest (at everything, in every area) without even considering they could be wrong. This is why they will never have universal healthcare. All other industrialsed nations have it, therefore for the US to get it would be admitting that they were wrong.

Generally, the richer you are, the better you will get along in America, as other have already posted. Note that you have to be a millionaire to run for president. So if you were a milionaire, the US would be better for you than the UK. But Monaco would be better than both and you'd have lots of famous sports/film star tax exiles as your neighbours.
    I could easily have posted "Go USA!" but i chose not to. I am very patriotic, and believe me, its not forced.

ReputationRep:
    I think there are some fundamental things about the US which make it the best place on earth, the freedom, you can literally feel it. You can more or less do what you want, and it doesn't feel like people are sticking their noses in your business. It's great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    I could easily have posted "Go USA!" but i chose not to. I am very patriotic, and believe me, its not forced.
    Why? Seriously, are you taught that you have to support your country unquestionably and never question anything? I don't understand all this obsession with pledging allegiance to the flag and stuff. I mean, Britain is ok but I don't love it. I can see there are many faults.

I actually don't think America is as 'free' as Americans believe. It appears to run by more and more extreme religious fanatics. See this article about women being refused the pill because some doctors and pharmacists think any form of contraception is a 'silent abortion'.

http://www.prevention.com/cda/featur...-7342,00.html?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babyballerina)
    Why? Seriously, are you taught that you have to support your country unquestionably and never question anything? I don't understand all this obsession with pledging alleginace to the flag and stuff. I mean, Britain is ok but I don't love it. I can see there are many faults.

I actually don't think America is as 'free' as Americans believe. It appears to run by more and more extreme religious fanatics. See this article about women being refused the pill because some doctors and pharmacists think any form of contraception is a 'silent abortion'.

http://www.prevention.com/cda/featur...-7342,00.html?
    No i am not taught to, and i do question many things with in my country. No you obviously wouldnt understand the "obsession" because you dont live here.

ReputationRep:
    No i am not taught to, and i do question many things with in my country. No you obviously wouldnt understand the "obsession" because you dont live here.
    I heard about saluting the flag and stuff in schools, is that wide spread or just reflective of the rather evangical christian teens i was arguing with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    I heard about saluting the flag and stuff in schools, is that wide spread or just reflective of the rather evangical christian teens i was arguing with?
    Some schools do the pledge at the beginning of the day, but the ones around here just have a couple flags.

ReputationRep:
    Some schools do the pledge at the beginning of the day, but the ones around here just have a couple flags.
    why?

ReputationRep:
    why?
    why what? The pledge or flags?

ReputationRep:
    why what? The pledge or flags?
    the pledge? surely its completely pointless and is a kinda of harmless form of indoctrination as no one is older enought to understand it

ReputationRep:
    the pledge? surely its completely pointless and is a kinda of harmless form of indoctrination as no one is older enought to understand it
    Dont ask me why they did it. But no one had a problem with it, or they would have stopped.

ReputationRep:
    Silly thread really, depends on which part of the country you live.

ReputationRep:

What do you think?
    Uk deffinately. I think there is too much inequality in the USA and I disagree with the lack of free health care ect.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.