Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone;

I'm at quite the dilemma. So, as a lot of other people have, I attended my Sixth Form enrolment today and I realised, after speaking to the interviewer, how more and more annoyed I am becoming at my GCSE results.

You see, I strived for a bunch of very good grades. What I achieved are grades I'm not at all happy with. My grades are:

4A*
    4A
    7B
    2C
    Pass in Music BTEC

I'm not happy at all with these, when comparing my grades to multiple other people. However, many people have told me how stupid it is of me to be annoyed about these.

So am I being plain arrogant? Am I overthinking?

ReputationRep:
    Yes it's fine to be disappointed. You are the only one you should compare yourself to. If you don't feel that you've met what you're capable of, then it's fine to be disappointed.

Compare yourself to me if you're disappointed. I got 3 GCSEs!

ReputationRep:
    It is absolutely fine. Everyone has their own standards.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations on those results! While you may think they're bad, they're actually pretty impressive considering some people drop out of GCSEs... well done!

And no it's not a bad thing you're upset, that shows you care and aim high, so hopefully you manage to get even better grades at A level, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Yes it's fine to be disappointed. You are the only one you should compare yourself to. If you don't feel that you've met what you're capable of, then it's fine to be disappointed.
    Thank you. I find that my problem is I compare myself to too many people. There are some people who get 10 A* and 4 A and I am jealous of them, especially considering I know I'm fully capable of doing that too. That's what annoys me most, is that I'm perfectly capable of better grades.

ReputationRep:
    A* = winning
    Everything else = losing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kryptonian)
    Compare yourself to me if you're disappointed. I got 3 GCSEs!
    Makes me feel a bit better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkberry_y)
    A* = winning
    Everything else = losing
    That's how I see it unfortunately.

I know it's absurd to think I could've got 17A*, but it's always possible. That's the problem I have...

ReputationRep:
    maybe its because you did 17 gcses wtf lol

ReputationRep:
    There is always people in the world who have done better than you. You will never be the best at everything. I wish people would stop comparing their grades to other people's. Be proud and happy of what you have achieved! They are good results.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wtf! 17 GCSEs! That's almost double than what my school offers!! You should be grateful that you had the chance to do as many GCSEs as you did. I would have liked to do another 3 or 4 personally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samii123)
    Wtf! 17 GCSEs! That's almost double than what my school offers!! You should be grateful that you had the chance to do as many GCSEs as you did. I would have liked to do another 3 or 4 personally.
    Most people in my school do 10-14 but, long story short, I did 3 extra.

ReputationRep:
    lol what were those 17 subjects?

ReputationRep:
    First of all, congratulations! Those are really good grades. Secondly, I'm glad I'm not the only one.. The grades I got are far better than I ever expected. I was really expecting a mix of Bs, Cs and maybe even some Ds, but I ended up doing quite a lot better than that. At first I was so excited, and don't get me wrong, I'm still relieved, but it's like you said- I'm starting to get annoyed that I didn't do even better. Now I realise that I could probably only be completely satisfied with all A*s, and it's probably the same with you. I am a perfectionist, and I'm not going to act like it's a bad thing. Everyone should strive for the best. So- you should be proud of your results, but it's not bad wanting to do better, and you'll have plenty of time in life to do just that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeenPolyglot)
    Hello everyone;

I'm at quite the dilemma. So, as a lot of other people have, I attended my Sixth Form enrolment today and I realised, after speaking to the interviewer, how more and more annoyed I am becoming at my GCSE results.

You see, I strived for a bunch of very good grades. What I achieved are grades I'm not at all happy with. My grades are:

4A*
    4A
    7B
    2C
    Pass in Music BTEC

I'm not happy at all with these, when comparing my grades to multiple other people. However, many people have told me how stupid it is of me to be annoyed about these.

It's fine to set ambitious goals and be disappointed if you don't achieve them.
    It's ok to be disappointed if know you could have done better if you had done things differently
    Comparing yourself to other people and telling yourself " if they can succeed so can I" can inspire you to raise your performance.
    But
    It's silly to be unhappy that other people do better than you, that is a recipe for a lifetime of unhappiness, celebrate your achievements and look for ways to keep improving.

Be aware that people with great results who go on about how dreadful they are can be really annoying to others who would be delighted with anything even close to the same grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meridian0)
    lol what were those 17 subjects?
    English Language
    English Literature
    French
    AS French
    Latin
    Mathematics
    Use of Maths [Finance; Core; Shape and Space]
    Physics
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Geography
    Sociology
    Drama
    General Studies
    IT User Skills [more like an accreditation to be honest]
    Music BTEC

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeenPolyglot)
    Hello everyone;

4A*
    4A
    7B
    2C
    Pass in Music BTEC

I'm in the same boat as you. I got 'good' GCSE grades but I'm slightly annoyed as I did work hard, especially for some subjects that I wanted to do better in. Those are a very impressive set of GCSE results and I'm sure you'll look back in the future and eventually be happy with them, not many people achieve at that level!

ReputationRep:
    It's fine to be disappointed. I think unless we get straight A*s, with full UMS marks then you are perfectly in your right to feel disappointed. Sometimes when I read up about people's 11 A*s or 13 A*s etc I feel disappointed with myself. Try not to compare yourself with others.

ReputationRep:
    Initial disappointment is fine, but eventually you'll come to realise how well you have done, and hopefully even feel proud

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.