Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    Just order a pint, or a JD and Coke or something. If you're 19, you almost certainly will be asked for ID. Make sure you have passport or driving licence as that's all they'll accept in most places.
    In a pub?! I've been IDed in a pub twice since I was 17, one was a Wetherspoons and apparently they do it for everyone (and wouldn't take my matriculation card like everyone else), the other chap was a young bouncer - I just rolled my eyes at him and walked on in anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Hehe this thread is rather amusing...it's really not that difficult you know! I'm Muslim and don't drink either but ordering at the bar in a pub (non-alcoholic drinks for moi, alcoholic drinks for my friends) doesn't present any massive problems! Just walk up, wait your turn if the bar's busy but don't stand around for ages letting people shove you out the way, and just say whatever drink you want. Adding a please would be good There's loads of kinds of beers/ales (I don't understand the difference, it doesn't matter for your job) - just say 'A pint of'...Fosters, Carlsberg, Boddington's, Guinness, Stella. Then just go sit in the corner, and after a bit, leave. Maybe you could get a spirit instead, vodka or Jack Daniels or something, 'coz then you wouldn't have to leave a massive pint, just a little glass and it wouldn't look tooooo weird.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I don't think you quite get the point:p:

oxleeamox34, are you actually 19? Because I thought normally they get 17 year olds to do this so they can fine them for serving underage people if they don't ask for ID.
    Disgraceful isn't it?! This country's really in the ****ter.

ReputationRep:
    also, is NOT tipping in pubs considered rude?

ReputationRep:
    I've never seen anybody tip a bartender in my life. The prices are extortionate as it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxleeamox34)
    hello ppl

i am muslim so i dont drink and never been in a pub before but recently i got a job as mystery shopper going to pubs and shops asking for alcohol and see if they ask me for id.

so the question is HOW and WHAT to order in a pub?

what do you say and what is a common (i.e. not girly) drink to order as a 19 year old male in surrey, england

thx
    Pint of warm lager please guv, with some crisps floating in it. Oh, and tap your fag in it to please landlord. Smashing.

ReputationRep:
    ok anyone know what the price is for pint of fosters/stella/carlsberg/etc?

ReputationRep:
    Looking at 2-3quid. Fosters/Carling is usually 2.20 a pint, seems about standard?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    depending on location - around £2.50 a pint in Edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    It varys depending on the location of the pub and if there are any promotions on. Where I'm from a pint of larger is usually about £2.50. So 10 in a night cost £25 + the taxi + condoms = expensive.

ReputationRep:
    what exactly is lager?

ReputationRep:
    what exactly is lager?
    A form of beer. ie. not Ale

ReputationRep:
    Dont you get the price of the drink back, so pick expensive!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    lager is a lighter form of beer.

ReputationRep:
    Just get a bottle of newcastle brown take it to toilet with u and pour it down the loo?

Or a Wicked etc etc o.O

Seriously there is nothing to this job lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Syous)

Or a Wicked etc etc o.O
    :puke:

ReputationRep:
    If the landlord was wanting to to test the staff's ability to check for ID with the challenge 21 thing, then they would want you to buy something alcoholic, as j20s etc dont have a age limit.
    It would just be daft asking someone to go into a pub for that!

The most common thing asked for (having worked in a pub and still wokring in one) is either stella or carling. Its usually about £2 a pint, we sell it at £2.50.

If the staff are doing their job right, then if you look under 21, they should ask you for some sort of id. A Passport, driving licence or equivelant. THey shouldn't have a problem.

What you do with the ale then is up to you!

Some of the suggestions mentioned before such as 'having to answer an urgent phone call' or the like will probably get you out suspicion free, or even if it is nice go to sit outside in the beer garden for abit, and then just walk off. Nobody can stop you!!

As for tipping the staff, unless theyre realllllly nice and friendly and helpful, i wouldnt bother. It doesnt happen much unless your a regular, and your friendly with the bar team member.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silence)
    "Have you got any tonic water?"
    "Aye"
    "With some ice� and... a segment of lemon... yeah, and could you top it up with some Gordon's Gin"
    "I fell asleep leaning against the sink like this..."

ReputationRep:
    I hate the "challenge 21" thing. I've been IDed a few times this year and I'm 23. Couldn't even get served in ASDA FFS. Of course I always carry ID these days.

ReputationRep:
    Ask at the bar for a half of lager, the bartender will then give you a choice of what they have.

I wouldn't worry about not drinking it though, as long as you pay they aren't going to care.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.