Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Helo all!

As you might have guessed from the topic, this thread is one big question about
    wether I should reapply to Oxford this year or not- in other words, wther I have any chances of actually gaining a place.

My short story is as follows: international applicant (Eastern Europe), spent whole life in native country but moved to the UK to attend Sixth Form in an independent school I could not in a million years afford (had a full scholarship, fortunately). For various reasons, the last year has been a mess and I have failed to plan my application carefully enough. As a result, I was rejected post-interview from Chemistry. Secured a place at top London uni, but wish to apply again to Oxford during my first year.

There are to main reasons for my decision. One of them is, of course, a wish to try again and get another chance of attending Oxford. Another one is change of subject. Over the course of the year, I have had three internships, in various nanotechnology companies and in a national research facility (something like RSC in my country). Time spent there reassured me, that I am not a theory person, and I ish to follow a more applied route. This, and my long-term love for physics of materials and such has resulted in the choice of Materials Science/Engineering. My current university does not offer such a degree, hence a reapplication decision- and a chance to have another try at Oxford.

Not to elaborate on that anymore, here are objective stats:
    A-Levels: A*A*AA in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry ( and an A* in mother tongue, but that's not relevant)
    Requirements met: grades(they are enough, at least according to the course's website), IELTS done (8.5)
    To do: PAT, Interview prep (hopefully), UCAS

I know the major hurdle (or boost, I hope?) now is PAT. I have read that there ill be more expected from me on that part, since I am applying for a second time, but I want to know what else will count the most, what are my chances. It would be good to hear from someone who was working or studying at Oxford especially, or who went through something similiar to this. In the end though, any good advice is something I'd be up for.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    This is kind of what I did last year. While in sixth form, I applied to Cambridge for NatSci and was unsuccessful, ended up at Durham. i applied to Oxford during my first year at Durham which I admit was very stressful, however after receiving my offer from Oxford in January I dropped out of Durham and am now due to start at Oxford next month.

This time last year I spent ages trying to find out whether anything else had done anything like this, when I was at my interview I heard of a few people who had done it.

With regards to how your application is treated-they expect a bit more knowledge from you but otherwise I don't feel like they were much harsher on me just because I was a year older than the other application. I think with the PAT they used it to identify the scores for which they'd do interviews and then take the score into account whilst making decisions after interviews.

Hope this was helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheEsther_Bunny)
    Hi,
    This is kind of what I did last year. While in sixth form, I applied to Cambridge for NatSci and was unsuccessful, ended up at Durham. i applied to Oxford during my first year at Durham which I admit was very stressful, however after receiving my offer from Oxford in January I dropped out of Durham and am now due to start at Oxford next month.

This time last year I spent ages trying to find out whether anything else had done anything like this, when I was at my interview I heard of a few people who had done it.

With regards to how your application is treated-they expect a bit more knowledge from you but otherwise I don't feel like they were much harsher on me just because I was a year older than the other application. I think with the PAT they used it to identify the scores for which they'd do interviews and then take the score into account whilst making decisions after interviews.

Hope this was helpful.
    Definitely very helpful, thank you! One other thing I would like to ask about is your experience with applying whilst at the university, rather than on a gap year- did it make any difference?Also, purely out of curiosity: are you Materials Science or Physics/Chemistry/Biology?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.