Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So , everyone is saying that arab people are destroying every country in Europe , especially after the attacks on Nice,Paris , etc.
    I agree , going to kill our people isn't right , but look at their countries and what we did to them.
    Every country , through NATO invaded muslim countries(Syria,Iraq,etc.) for money (oil).
    If you go through history , Europeans invaded many countries , just for personal interests. I don't want to defend them , but we gotta agree that we did some pretty nasty things over the years.
    What do you think ?

ReputationRep:
    Libya was the biggest scandal. Iraq and Syria can be justified not fully but to an extent of debate and Judgement however Libya was just pure wrong and there is no justification that can even bring about a debate to its legality. But yes, they are making the same mistakes that have led to huge wars in the past and it's created this extremism (I don't remember there being Jihadists/extremists in world war 1), they've not only created a war in these isolated countries but they've created a war with a world wide religion and fuelled a sectarian war within the religion, this is why we have extremists. I agree if certain decisions weren't made by the USA and European countries we wouldn't be in this position today, that's not an opinion, it can be seen by putting the facts together

ReputationRep:
    The root cause of conflict in the Middle East is Muslim sectarianism. The war between Sunni and Shia has been going on for over a thousand years, and has nothing to do with Western intervention.

The root cause of global terrorism is Salafism, an ideology originating in Saud Arabia. Can the West be criticised for ignoring this and allying itself with the Saudis? Absolutely. But the root cause of this terrorism is nonetheless Salafism. ISIS desire no less than the end to Western civilisation, and therefore to suggest non-interventionism as a possible course of action is absurd at this point.

Have some of the campaigns in the Middle East been clumsy, mishandled, objectionable and conducive to the growth of terrorism and problems in the Middle East? You can certainly make a convincing case. But to blame these issues solely on the West is simplistic and misguided. And to suggest the Middle East would be peaceful and prosperous and that there would be no conflict between Islam and the West if not for these interventions is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    The root cause of conflict in the Middle East is Muslim sectarianism. The war between Sunni and Shia has been going on for over a thousand years, and has nothing to do with Western intervention.

The root cause of global terrorism is Salafism, an ideology originating in Saud Arabia. Can the West be criticised for ignoring this and allying itself with the Saudis? Absolutely. But the root cause of this terrorism is nonetheless Salafism. ISIS desire no less than the end to Western civilisation, and therefore to suggest non-interventionism as a possible course of action is absurd at this point.

Have some of the campaigns in the Middle East been clumsy, mishandled, objectionable and conducive to the growth of terrorism and problems in the Middle East? You can certainly make a convincing case. But to blame these issues solely on the West is simplistic and misguided. And to suggest the Middle East would be peaceful and prosperous and that there would be no conflict between Islam and the West if not for these interventions is ridiculous.
    I agree , but I was just thinking , we are not that much different .Just as an example , look at what Belgium did to Congo.
    King Leopold II killed between 1 and 15 million people just to make it an oversea colony.I mean wtf , we are the terrorists now.
    P.S.:I know that this might seem as a different topic , but that's what I wanted to say actually : We are the reason of those terrorist attacks and we will also be in the future by doing the things we continue doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanArthur)
    So , everyone is saying that arab people are destroying every country in Europe , especially after the attacks on Nice,Paris , etc.
    I agree , going to kill our people isn't right , but look at their countries and what we did to them.
    Every country , through NATO invaded muslim countries(Syria,Iraq,etc.) for money (oil).
    If you go through history , Europeans invaded many countries , just for personal interests. I don't want to defend them , but we gotta agree that we did some pretty nasty things over the years.
    What do you think ?
    Do we have any evidence that the invasion of Syria was for oil? Or even that of Iraq?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aceadria)
    Do we have any evidence that the invasion of Syria was for oil? Or even that of Iraq?
    No , we don't . But put the leaders of the top countries at a lie detector and you will see how many would agree to take it.

ReputationRep:
    No , we don't .
    In that case, it's pure opinion and not necessarily fact. Let's focus on the latter.

But put the leaders of the top countries at a lie detector and you will see how many would agree to take it.
    Lie detectors are not the best indicator of truth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aceadria)
    In that case, it's pure opinion and not necessarily fact. Let's focus on the latter.

Lie detectors are not the best indicator of truth.
    Well , yeah it's my opinion and I do believe that lie detectors would make it clear but it's just my word against yours. I wrote this to hear what others think of this.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.