Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What should I wear for the matriculation ceremony/dinner at Cambridge? I know I have to wear the gown and some places make you wear just black and white but what's the case at Murray Edwards? (Obviously I'm a girl!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lambda98)
    What should I wear for the matriculation ceremony/dinner at Cambridge? I know I have to wear the gown and some places make you wear just black and white but what's the case at Murray Edwards? (Obviously I'm a girl!).
    You'll get the info about it in a welcome pack you receive from your college very soon.
    Usually a smart dress (mid-length) will do. Some colleges ask you to wear black or white, but afaik, there's no restriction on colour at Murray Eds. I have a graduation year book (2014) with matriculation group photo of all colleges, and that of Murray Eds is very colourful.
    But please check with the welcome pack when you get it.......just in case they changed the rule. (Which is quite unlikely.....)

ReputationRep:
    I post a list of matriculation attire at each college here, if anyone's interested. (not just girs) .

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4291154

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    I post a list of matriculation attire at each college here, if anyone's interested. (not just girs) .

thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MECAccess)
    Hi there, vincrows is right! You can wear anything that makes you feel smart and comfortable for the matriculation ceremony and dinner - last year I wore a simple black and white patterned dress with tights and some patent heels, but it can really be any colour /any style, especially if you would prefer to wear trousers and a top/blouse or a suit. I can send you a picture of last year's matriculation if that helps. The one tip I would give is that you will be wearing your black formal gown for the first time that evening, so a lot of people avoid wearing completely black underneath (not that it makes a difference but you might want to choose something that doesn't blend in with the gown)

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

From the Murray Edwards JCR Access Officer xx
    thanks that's really helpful!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, vincrows is right! You can wear anything that makes you feel smart and comfortable for the matriculation ceremony and dinner - last year I wore a simple black and white patterned dress with tights and some patent heels, but it can really be any colour /any style, especially if you would prefer to wear trousers and a top/blouse or a suit. I can send you a picture of last year's matriculation if that helps. The one tip I would give is that you will be wearing your black formal gown for the first time that evening, so a lot of people avoid wearing completely black underneath (not that it makes a difference but you might want to choose something that doesn't blend in with the gown)

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

From the Murray Edwards JCR Access Officer xx
    Actually, looking at all matriculation photos of all (non-mature) colleges in the graduation year book, Medwards girls seem much more colourful than girls at other colleges.
    There're quite a few girls at other colleges who are wearing black or other very dark or subtle colour under their gown. (Even their apparent dress code is not black/white only)

So I was wondering if Medwards JCR warns the freshers in their welcome pack about the risk of blending too much into black gowns or it's just Medwards girls are coulourful bunch. (In various sense.....)

ReputationRep:
    Haha we just tell our freshers to wear whatever they like, but that has been suggested! Colourful is definitely who we are - all you have to see is college during our annual May Week Garden Party!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My daughter very much enjoyed your garden party in her final year
    She bought the ticket at last minute to add to her collection (of two) may balls she'd already got as a treat to herself for surviving three yrs at Cambridge, but she said the garden party was best value among them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.