Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I am going to be studying an Access to Teaching Course at my local College, starting in October this year.

I would like to hear about any experiences of this particular course.
    • How many assignments did you have per week?
    • How long would you say you spent completing each assignment?
    • What were your actual hours spent in the classroom? Provisionally, my course will be 3 days per week 9.30 - 4.30pm.
    • What sort of degrees were people applying for in your group?
    • What subjects were covered within your course? My college units will include; Teaching, Sociology, Psychology and Study skills.

ReputationRep:
    I did access to teaching 2014-2015. I would say getting a head start on class room volunteering would be a good idea, reading around current events affecting teaching (subscribe to some newspapers teaching editions), read about the curriculum and its history. Read around some educational theorists (e.g Piaget). I remember all these things being required for various assignments so would provide a potential starting point for any aspiring teacher.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the response, I will be sure to try and do some background reading and look at subscribing to teaching news.

ReputationRep:
    I decided to do my highers (a-levels) to gain access to teaching. But I completed an HNC in 2013 which was 3 days a week (made up of psychology, social care and sociology) and probably completed about 20 essays in total within the 10 months?

I found it easy to fit around general life, but I usually leave things to last minute - I advise that you don't.

I'm not sure if it helps - enjoy your course .

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I just completed an access diploma in education at my local college. I found that the assignments were spread quite nicely at my college and I never felt snowed under. Most assignments I could complete within a week and then proof read until hand in week to make sure it was good rather than last minute submission.. Towards the end of the course I found it mounted up but if you stay organised you will easily manage. Definitely get a head start on theorists in education, theories on play, development and psychology. People on my course are going on to many different courses, like teacher training, education degrees, esol etc. Good luck and most of all enjoy it. 😀

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tlou95)
    Hey everyone, I am going to be studying an Access to Teaching Course at my local College, starting in October this year.
    I would like to hear about any experiences of this particular course.
    Did this course last year[*]How many assignments did you have per week? 15 over the course. Think about 5 per term
    [*]How long would you say you spent completing each assignment? various but from 10 hours for easier ones to 20 for tougher assignments. Only exception was the classroom experiance assignment which req 60 hours + about 15 write up.
    [*]What were your actual hours spent in the classroom? Provisionally, my course will be 3 days per week 9.30 - 4.30pm. It was only 10 hours a week
    [*]What sort of degrees were people applying for in your group? mainly primary QTS
    [*]What subjects were covered within your course? My college units will include; Teaching, Sociology, Psychology and Study skills. I did Eng Lit & History along with teaching

ReputationRep:
    Thank you John, I would have preferred Eng Lit & History to the subjects chosen by my college. Hopefully I won't struggle too much.
    Interesting how hours of Access courses vary so much.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.